Is it normal to spend over a grand on this hobby in 1 month or am i going overboard?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xsamrlx17

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
In the past couple months I've gotten a 15g a 10g and a 50g also a 3g for my betta. I know I've spent well over 1000$ is this normal? I never expected the hobby to be so expensive. Does it continue to put a hole in your pocket or is it just when you're getting started? Is it unnecessary for me to buy certain things that fish stores will say you need? Anyone have any suggestions on how to spend less and enjoy more lol? It seems I'm at the fish store everyday. I do find it worth it though, I'm new to having all my own tanks and am completely obsessed.

My start up was pretty expensive but buying tanks on craigslist helps alot.

Right now I have 3 tanks running I have bought pellets and flake food once. frozen maybe 3-4 times in a year and maybe 3 bottles of prime.

Once you have everything there is no costs really just prime.

I have never added algea stabilizer or bacteria crap I let me tanks cycle properly and let the algea bloom run its course.

xsamrlx17 said:
In the past couple months I've gotten a 15g a 10g and a 50g also a 3g for my betta. I know I've spent well over 1000$ is this normal? I never expected the hobby to be so expensive. Does it continue to put a hole in your pocket or is it just when you're getting started? Is it unnecessary for me to buy certain things that fish stores will say you need? Anyone have any suggestions on how to spend less and enjoy more lol? It seems I'm at the fish store everyday. I do find it worth it though, I'm new to having all my own tanks and am completely obsessed.

If your going to start with four tanks, the start up would be a little pricey compared to a normal one tank start up. Managing all those tanks when your new to the hobby is probably what is keeping you tethered to your LFS, but once you have them balanced and everything settled and you have used a few products and found what works for you and your tanks, the cost should even out. The annual costs depend on the systems your running but there are many DIY ideas to cut down expenditure. Planted tanks require ferts as well as water conditioner, maybe root tabs every few months, co2 once or twice a year. A non planted would obviously cost less, so it's down to you on how much you put into it. If your obsessed then your probably spending more than you need to but that's half the thrill when starting, just remember what you want to achieve and don't buy medication until you need it. Good luck!

it's called multiple tank syndrome, but I agree that craig's list is a great place to find cheap stuff just know what it costs new and know what your willing to spend, also don't be afraid to haggle a bit

I have a 30 gallon and a 5 gallon, and I've probably spent maybe 200 dollars. It might just be because I got the 30 g for free, though. Anyways, you've probably spent over half of that money on the tanks, which are pretty expensive. So yeah, with all of your tanks and fish it's probably pretty normal. and it might be expensive, but it's worth it!

The best watt to beat costs are auction! I know there is at least one auction a month around my areas. Lots of things go really cheap! Even tanks!

Nomadu571 said:
If your going to start with four tanks, the start up would be a little pricey compared to a normal one tank start up. Managing all those tanks when your new to the hobby is probably what is keeping you tethered to your LFS, but once you have them balanced and everything settled and you have used a few products and found what works for you and your tanks, the cost should even out. The annual costs depend on the systems your running but there are many DIY ideas to cut down expenditure. Planted tanks require ferts as well as water conditioner, maybe root tabs every few months, co2 once or twice a year. A non planted would obviously cost less, so it's down to you on how much you put into it. If your obsessed then your probably spending more than you need to but that's half the thrill when starting, just remember what you want to achieve and don't buy medication until you need it. Good luck!

I cheat. I start off new tanks with partial up to 50% water transfer from my other tanks and old filter bag ;) But I've blown an easy 600 plus on 3 tanks lol

I have a 55 gallon and have easily spent a grand. Granted i went with the top of everything. Fluval 306 canister filter. Aqueon pro 150 heater. Two 24" glass versa tops. A single bulb 48" light. And a black stand. 50 lb of black rock. Aqueon sink water changer. Bottle of aqua safe. And some omega c fish food. And some tetra 5 in one test strips. And then there was all the decorations. I think thats were I spent the most. The sad thing is I only have five serpae tetras in it now only started the tank 2 weeks ago.

I have a 55 gallon and have easily spent a grand. Granted i went with the top of everything. Fluval 306 canister filter. Aqueon pro 150 heater. Two 24" glass versa tops. A single bulb 48" light. And a black stand. 50 lb of black rock. Aqueon sink water changer. Bottle of aqua safe. And some omega c fish food. And some tetra 5 in one test strips. And then there was all the decorations. I think thats were I spent the most. The sad thing is I only have five serpae tetras in it now only started the tank 2 weeks ago.

I'm with you after taking a vacation from fishkeeping (10 yrs) too am up to 7 tanks (but one is a QT tank)

After dropping 275 on an 60 gallon MarineLand set up, I decided even though it is good price I'd go broke duplicating it.

I befriended a guy on another forum who sold me 2 75's and a 55 gallon for 80 bucks. I gave me some tips on lighting...and how to build some rock solid stands at a fraction of the price.

Craiglist and Freecycle are good too...If you want to get big (Like Fish room big you need to get handy if you are not already)

Here is a good site to give you some ideas and tricks to save a buck.

DIYFISHKEEPERS.COM

He also have a You Tube channel.:popcorn:

I would say... yes, that is quite normal. I am a cheapo and I spent over $500.00 setting up my 55 gallon tank. If I was allowed, I would have spent even more :) .

Back
Top Bottom