Is my 28g stocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishFanaticSyd

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a percula clownfish, a skunk cleaner shrimp, and a royal gramma basslet. Could I potentially add another fish? (preferably something that eats hair algae) I would like some caulerpa in my tank at some point in the future, so something that does eat hair algae but not caulerpa is ideal.

You could add another fish but I have always suggested that you don't use livestock to deal with nuisance algae. A lot of times it does not work. Try siphoning out the hair algae and feeding less and frequent PWC`s. That way you are able to pick out a beautiful fish and does not have to be limited to eating algae.

Thanks a lot on the hair algae advice. What fish would you recommend and is there any stocking limit on inverts?

And what are the best beginner corals and what are the best coral foods? Am thinking of going reef...

I would start out with leathers , zoa's , mushrooms ect , just be sure your lights will support coral before you spend lots of money .

caulerpa can become invasive very fast once it takes over it is almost impossible to get rid of , I would go with something like red or green grape , or even dragons breath ,
here is a good place to start to get a understanding of what to expect from most macro's
Marine Plants In The Aquarium: An online guide to the identification and care of marine plants and macroalgae in the aquarium.

I got my lighting secondhand. All I know about it is that it is fluorescent and it makes the tank look blue. Is the best place to get coral online or at Petco (which is the only place other then online I have seen live coral frags for sale.)

By the way, my avatar picture is my Percula Clownfish. The lighting only looks that blue in pictures.

Blue fluorescent light won't support much Coral at all I'm afraid. Most corals require high lightning put off by t5's or leds. Also best place to but coral is really just your area. I prefer mom and pop stores as they "usually" know what there doing. I'm not a fan of Petco at all

I have a 'mom and pop' store near me but I don't know if they sell coral. Is there a fluorescent bulb that can support corals? Not really in the mood to buy another lighting system. The one I've got is really high quality.

I think cg is more referring to your fluorescent lighting. What kind of fluorescents are they? T8, T5? What wattage? How many bulbs? Do they have individual reflectors?

Just because they're blue does not mean they grow coral. They need to have a certain intensity as well to actually aid the zooxthanellae with photosynthesis.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I think cg is more referring to your fluorescent lighting. What kind of fluorescents are they? T8, T5? What wattage? How many bulbs? Do they have individual reflectors?

Just because they're blue does not mean they grow coral. They need to have a certain intensity as well to actually aid the zooxthanellae with photosynthesis.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Right, the color really has no influence on color growth. Color relates more how deep it penetrates the water. It relays more on par and such now days

I have one bulb, about 18'' long, with a reflector. I looked at the base of a bulb and saw: FT65W and 460nm
Also, am I stocked out on fish or could I add another one? My tank finished cycling one or two months ago.

Back
Top Bottom