Is my fish tank overstocked

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nathan.t

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all.

I am new to this forum and new to aquarium keeping and I am after a little bit of advice from someone who has more experience than me.

I purchased a 54 litre tank and after cycling the tank I introduced 4 danios to my aquarium and have had no issues in the past 4 months or so. I then got 3 Buenos tetras and after 1 month all is good. I have now purchased 5 other small fish (roughly same size as danios) and was told in the aquatic centre that my tank is good for what I have.

I have a hydro 20 filter, gravel and fake plants and logs / stones.
Water is crystal clear and I do a roughly 40% water change each week. My aquatic centre tests my water roughly twice a month and all is good.

My question is would you say my tank is overstocked ?

In total I have 12 small fish .

I can post pictures if needs be.

Thank you all

It seems your tank would be okay as long as the new fish do not grow large and stay the same size roughly as the Danios.

Doing the larger weekly water changes will just help the fish stay as healthy as possible by keeping them with a lower stress level because they do not need to deal with poor water quality!!! Sounds like you are doing a good job with that.

This article can help give you a solid foundation for keeping your tank well
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

The biggest important thing is knowing about the nitrification cycle and that the good bacteria colonize mostly in the filter media and once they are growing well you just need to rinse your filter media in dechlorinated water or swish it in partial water change / pwc water so that you do not kill them with chlorine!

People's filter pads seem to last 1-2 years and even longer!!!

Back
Top Bottom