Is this a good buy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hobgob

Aquarium Advice Addict
I found someone selling a 40g for $40. The tank is 48" long 12"wide and 16"high. The only thing is the tank doesn't have the black around the top were a canopy sits in how would I get a canopy? Also they say the tank hold water and is good to go

Hobgob said:
I found someone selling a 40g for $40. The tank is 48" long 12"wide and 16"high. The only thing is the tank doesn't have the black around the top were a canopy sits in how would I get a canopy? Also they say the tank hold water and is good to go

Used, it isn't that good a deal. Petco does a $1 per gallon sale, you could get a brand new one for the same price. I'd offer them $20-25 for it.

How would the canopy sit on it and I have no idea what petco is... Is that a store in america? I found some 30 and 35s for 60-70$. They came with just the tank and some with fixtures

Hobgob said:
How would the canopy sit on it and I have no idea what petco is... Is that a store in america? I found some 30 and 35s for 60-70$. They came with just the tank and some with fixtures

Gotcha. That's a different story and yes, it's a chain store in the USA.

Rimless is great and many are made to be topless with rim mounted lights. I have an 8g tank that has slip on supports/clips for the flat glass top to rest on and the light mounts to the rim.

So no matter what I can get a top for it? And also how much would that cost?

Hobgob said:
So no matter what I can get a top for it? And also how much would that cost?

I'm guessing it'll depend on the market you're in. There's lots of websites that have just about everything you could want/need, but shipping could kill you if they're 1/2 way around the world.

Where are you located? I can't see it in the app :\.

Mr. Limpet said:
I'm guessing it'll depend on the market you're in. There's lots of websites that have just about everything you could want/need, but shipping could kill you if they're 1/2 way around the world.

Where are you located? I can't see it in the app :\.

Canada Ontario near grand bend kinda. I was thinking of getting a piece of plexy glass to just sit on top and go from there but it seems kinda risky

Hobgob said:
Canada Ontario near grand bend kinda. I was thinking of getting a piece of plexy glass to just sit on top and go from there but it seems kinda risky

That shouldn't be too bad for supplies in-store/internet. How far from Toronto? They should have tons of stores to choose from.

You could try a piece of plexy to start.

You need to verify that it is a rimless tank rather than a tank that's had the rim taken off. I wouldn't trust a 40g that was designed with a rim but has been removed.

mfdrookie516 said:
You need to verify that it is a rimless tank rather than a tank that's had the rim taken off. I wouldn't trust a 40g that was designed with a rim but has been removed.

Is there anyways to make sure buy markings on the aquarium itself from where the rim was?

If it has a rim on the bottom, that's a good indication it had one on top. I've never seen a rimless tank with a rim on the bottom. The top edge of the glass will also probably be smooth and even, where a tank with a rim won't have the detail.

Doesn't the rim offer a fair amount of support though? Yes the seals probably do most of the work, but the rim is like the backbone. The stress of 4x the amount of water on a tank that wasn't designed rimless makes a 40 4x riskier than a 10g.

Back
Top Bottom