Is this a good deal????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rlstoll

Aquarium Advice Freak
This is an add on Craigslist close to my area. Trying to see if its a good deal. Let me know what you think!!

Got a 75 gal fish tank with glass hoods and 5 gal wet dry filter system. And Rena hanging filter that has heater attachment. And stand. fish are no longer in it. Everything you need to set up. Open to any trades let me know. I do not want any fish tanks or car audio equipment. Call or text don at 330-310-

image-1479204727.jpg

I would probably offer $200 considering you will probably need a new light fixture. Also, the stand looks like particle board, just keep that in mind.

I think $150-$200 would be a fair price, depending on the condition of the equipment and stand.

Are the 5 gal wet/dry filter and the Rena filter good? He said he paid 200 alone for the wet dry filter.

What he paid and what it is worth are two very different things ;)

Used aquarium equipment does not hold value... if he is firm at $250, I'd wait if you have the time and you are on a budget - a better deal will come along.

Renas can be good, it depends on exactly what filter it is.

Thanks for the advice. I'll ask him about the stand and get the make and model of everything and maybe get all of your inputs even further. I'm just looking to get a great deal on a bigger tank so I can build a cichlid tank. Any suggestion on getting a good deal on tanks and equipment??

Craigslist is usually the best place. For a great deal on a tank with decent equipment you don't really want to pay more than $2/gallon. The only exception would be for high end gear like reef capable lighting, chillers, controllers, and the like - none of the gear he listed on this ad is high end. Unfortunately folks selling equipment they bought as new are usually in for a bit of a shock when they understand the going rate.

If I had the money and I wanted to start a 55 to 75 gallon tank with cichlids what would be considered high end stuff and where from? I wanna do the tank right and make it extremely nice so it lasts a long time and I will be able to enjoy it for a long time.

Depends really. Are you talking rimless/low iron glass? They make for nice tanks but are pricier. You would want a good eheim or fluval canister filter. Probably some nice display lighting. You can get fancy and do a sump if you wanted to house filtration and equipment. You can get extra fancy and have auto top offs, automated monitoring, etc. the sky is the limit if your budget is unlimited :).

I wouldn't say my budget is unlimited but I would be willing to go the extra mile to make it a great tank. I could probably spend anywhere from 500 to possibly a 1000. 1000 is pushing it would have to save a little longer.

You could put together a nice tank for that, especially if you go used for a lot of it. If you went new it would be tough.

Back
Top Bottom