Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-16-2011, 11:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's Betta Bruins!!!

So today I went to Petco, just browsing around the selections, seeing if they happen to have anything I wanted. Believe it or not, there were no dead fish in the tanks, and they were all happy and very healthy. The lady seemed to know her stuff, so I decided that this was a very decent Petco. I was just browsing around the betta section and then-OMIGOSH! I fell in love with this beautiful blue-and-yellowish betta! He's a Halfmoon Double Tail Plakat Male and he is stunning! Along with his dominant yellow-and-blue coloration, he also has some hints of purple on his scales and little orangish tinges on the tips of his fins! He was awesome! He HAD to be mine!

Currently he's being housed in a five gallon tank that was originally intended for bumblebee gobies, but it can wait! I used some already pre-established media from my filters and used an Aquaeon 30 along with another heater from my tank! I'm checking the water parameters everyday and changing about .5 gallons of water daily. His home has a shell, a terra cotta pot, two anubias, and two java fern. He's really a great fish! He's a little shy though, but I expect him to perk up soon!

I'll show you a pic when I can! He really is quite the charmer, in fact the female betta next to him was staring at him the whole time and was looking at him when I took him!

Anyone have any tank mate suggestions? I really want his tank to look nice! Also do you have any suggestions for lights for this tank? Right now I am using a desk top lamp. Thanks!

Old 08-17-2011, 12:22 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Sounds like a good pick up. The petco near me is pretty rough, but there's one an extra 15 minutes away that is great. If I got a betta, that's where it would be from.

As far as tank mates go, I personally love small rasboras. Phoenix rasboras might work, they stay about 3/4", if I remember correctly. Ember Tetras are nice, small, and colorful also. I personally would have a school fish and the betta as the centerpiece.

What are the dimensions of the tank? There's nothing wrong with a desktop lamp for small aquariums, as long as there's a piece of glass or something to keep the fish in the tank.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:27 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangora View Post
Sounds like a good pick up. The petco near me is pretty rough, but there's one an extra 15 minutes away that is great. If I got a betta, that's where it would be from.

As far as tank mates go, I personally love small rasboras. Phoenix rasboras might work, they stay about 3/4", if I remember correctly. Ember Tetras are nice, small, and colorful also. I personally would have a school fish and the betta as the centerpiece.

What are the dimensions of the tank? There's nothing wrong with a desktop lamp for small aquariums, as long as there's a piece of glass or something to keep the fish in the tank.
Thanks!

They have ember tetras down here at the LFS. But I'm just wondering about the tank size, I don't know if I can squeeze that into five gallons.

I'm not sure what the dimensions are, but the reason being I'm asking is because it gives off a sort-of moonlight glow, which isn't really what I'm looking for. Any suggestions for any lights?
Old 08-17-2011, 12:05 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here are the dimensions: 13x18x10 inches.

Here were today's test results before the water change:
pH: 7.4-7.6, it was dark on the pH test but really light brown on the high pH test.
ammonia: .25 ppm
nitrites: 0 ppm
nitrates: 0 ppm

Looks like the filter media has some work to do!

I changed about .5 gallons today.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:27 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here are some photos! He has really perked up and is now chasing his reflection all over the tank! But unfortunately he does not want to sit still for a photo op! This is the best I got of him so far!
Old 08-17-2011, 12:30 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow, you can clearly see the colors even when he's moving. Great betta!!!
Old 08-17-2011, 12:56 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

I think a school of embers would work, they don't get bigger than 2cm, which is about 3/4". Just keep the school to a smaller size. Maybe 5 or 6?

As far as lights go, you can probably get a good clip on light. I'll post a couple of links. With that size tank, I feel like clip on is your simplest and cheapest solution.

Links:

-Archae 13W
-Aqua Forest Lights
-Finnex Daylight/Moonlight

I haven't personally used any of these, but reviews are probably all over the internet.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:02 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishkeeper26
Wow, you can clearly see the colors even when he's moving. Great betta!!!
Thanks! I really like him
Old 08-17-2011, 01:03 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangora
I think a school of embers would work, they don't get bigger than 2cm, which is about 3/4". Just keep the school to a smaller size. Maybe 5 or 6?

As far as lights go, you can probably get a good clip on light. I'll post a couple of links. With that size tank, I feel like clip on is your simplest and cheapest solution.

Links:

-Archae 13W
-Aqua Forest Lights
-Finnex Daylight/Moonlight

I haven't personally used any of these, but reviews are probably all over the internet.
I think I'll do a school of six ember tetras. If that doesn't work they can always go in the thirty.

I'll look at the lights, I think they have some at the LFS. Thanks
Old 08-17-2011, 01:13 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Good luck and keep updating your new acquisitions for this tank. Can't wait to see the outcome. I think ember tetras will look great with that betta.

Tags
betta, new betta!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com