I've been Barbed! (Update)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jchillin

Aquarium Advice Addict
My wife fell in love with Barbs while surfing the photo galleries at AA and demanded that I get them. Since I'm prone to following orders, I did.

The new gang immediately after acclimation.
barbs001.jpg

There's always one in the bunch that is more inquistive than the others:
barbs002.jpg

I've never kept Barbs before and the little research I did just identifies them as nippers. Any advice?

Wow Jc. They are nice looking fish. I'm not a barb person and my experience is only with cherry barbs so I can't offer any info but, they are lovely. Congrats on the new fish!

I think you will find them to be very much like your serpaes, Bill. Hopefully the 4 will be enough, but I'd probably go with 5-7. If you see any problems just get two more.

I am assuming the pics were taken in the quarrantine tank, right? :roll:

I was going to get rosy barbs, until reading how they can be quite nippy. :( Let us know if yours are.

What? Nah, just get a few more - it will solve the problem completely.

Come to think of it, there is no problem that "more fish" won't solve, right? Isn't that what Christmasfish always said? :wink:

Just recieved a call from my wife. She found one tiger and one rosy expired. I won't be able to figure out if the rosy was one that was being nipped or the nipper. There's no explanation for the tiger as all of them had no problems. Did a nice PWC yesterday. Parameters are always the same. 0's NO2 and NH3...>20ppm NO3 and 6.8 ph. Everyone ate (or should I say gorged) themselves at dinner time yesterday. :?:

That's terrible! :(

There is really no way to know, except by examining the little bodies and see if there are indications of how/why they died. It could be that the new fish brought some sort of infection along with them.

Sorry to hear about your losses Jc!! :(
On the bright side: your future keyholes will have more room!! :lol: :oops:

According to my wife's account, it looks like they had been expired for several hours (complete color loss) and had been...ummm...you know :| . She's keeping a close eye on all the others and no signs of anything as yet.

Billsgate said:
On the bright side: your future keyholes will have more room!!
This was never an issue...Keyholes (fry or adult...doesn't matter) will be in my tank!

Tankgirl said:
It could be that the new fish brought some sort of infection along with them.

I thought of that...not too far fetched. I know for a fact that the tiger was with the LFS for about four weeks. The rosy(s) may be the culprit. They were from a younger tank (@2 weeks).

Back
Top Bottom