Java moss and snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kishore

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey fellow fish-mates!!

I had an interest in planted tanks. I am a newbie in this hobby. So i am starting now. I thought i could purchase java moss for my tank. U know, most LFS dont have it here!!(sad truth.. I live in India. Some LFS are like this).

I researched about the moss and found that its native to southeast asia. I remembered an open well where i had once seen something like them. There were small snails too.(too small. About the size of three fishfood pellets. I think i can get them for free!!!

I will update u guys when i get them. But i need advice on multiplying them if the quantity is small. Is a 2 gal fish bowl enough??

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Welcome to the forum!

It's cool that you can collect that stuff from the wild, but please make sure it is ok with your country's regulations to take plants and animals out of the wild. I don't see why it would be illegal because that stuff grows like a weed.

Second, do you want to have the 2 gallon bowl as your planted tank? That could work but it requires a lot more work if you want to add fish/shrimp in it. Why don't you start out with a nice sized tank, like a 20 long or a 10 gallon? These both have some options for fish and you can plant lots of plants in them. You could keep the 2 gallon bowl to breed snails though, although there is no point in that unless you keep puffer fish or some other fish that eats snails.

What else do you need to know about plants/fish? Ask away and we'll try and answer :)

Welcome to the forum!

It's cool that you can collect that stuff from the wild, but please make sure it is ok with your country's regulations to take plants and animals out of the wild. I don't see why it would be illegal because that stuff grows like a weed.

Second, do you want to have the 2 gallon bowl as your planted tank? That could work but it requires a lot more work if you want to add fish/shrimp in it. Why don't you start out with a nice sized tank, like a 20 long or a 10 gallon? These both have some options for fish and you can plant lots of plants in them. You could keep the 2 gallon bowl to breed snails though, although there is no point in that unless you keep puffer fish or some other fish that eats snails.

What else do you need to know about plants/fish? Ask away and we'll try and answer :)

I am a newbie to fish-keeping. So, I will soon have a tank. This 2 gal bowl could serve like moss feeder for the bigger tank. It isn't illegal here to do that stuff. But actually it is not wild at all! I am getting it from my friend's well! Thanks for your reply Nils. I will update you when I get them. It will happen probably tomorrow!:brows:

Back
Top Bottom