Jeff's Exotic Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Salt4Us

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well we finally went down today to check out what Jeff's Exotic Fish was like, driving instructions very easy to follow. It's a small brick fronted warehouse, when we entered it had a beautiful tank which I think they show part of it on their site, the pics are just like what their tour shows, open top tanks for the corals where you can look down and see, they mainly sell wholesale from that location the salesman told me. The salesman was extremely helpful and very willing to help. We had gone down there to get some green clown gobies, being that their website showed that they sell them, but they didn't have any, the man told me their turn around is very quick when they get some fish in they are usually sold quite quickly. So we kept looking, we had thought either we'd go the green clowns or the blue spotted jawfish which is what we had set the sand depth for, but because of the price had decided not to get one.

OH boy, they had blue spotted jawfish and according to the guy they had just got them in the day before, they were all kept in submerged clear type plastic jars, I guess so they wouldn't jump out of the tanks, yep we got one. We had also done research on reefsafe wrasses, and I had received an email yesterday about that they were having a sale on Solar Fairy Wrasse for 19.99, not bad considering some of the prices I've seen online for Wrasses. We got one of those and also a six line wrasse that happened to be in the same tank with it, beautiful fish. Got them home and followed their acclimation procedures they show online.

Put the jawfish in first, then the wrasses. Left the lights off for about 10 mins and then turned on the actnic, I had some food that had been left in the tank from feeding the hammer that the jawfish immediately took a bite at and from their he found where he wanted to start digging, we were amazed on how fast it was ready to make it's hole. The wrasses started picking at all the copepods that have taken over the tank since it has been up for a while and nothing to eat them. I can't wait until I can take some pics under the regular lights, the jawfish is soooooo coool! We did notice though that the fairy has a bit of a chuck out of him :( but seems to act normally and is eating the copepods so that must be a good sign.

I was so excited as you can tell with the long post, I'll post pics soon!

Oh, and if I ever wondered about ordering from Jeff's I'd definately do it, their corals and fish and establishment is clean and well ran.

Kaurene

Ok, here's the pics, the wrasses were really hard to capture, and the water is a bit a mess being that the jawfish is still digging! We are having a blast watching them do their thing. Oh, the wrasses hang out together, I don't know if this is a normal behavior, but I'm glad ours do we wanted a peaceful tank. :D

Here's a pic of the fairy and the sixline together, hopefully when the tank clears I'll get better pics and post them in the gallery. :D

fantastic:congrats on your new additions!!!!they are way cool!!!

Thanks, the fairy wrasse that had a chunk out of it didn't make it, we ran out to get some macro algae for the fuge and when we came back it died :( I guess what ever had got it at the store and then the travel was too much, we even acclimated them to their instructions, it was beautiful too. Oh well at least the six line and the jawfish are doing great! :D ::knocking on wood::

Thanks, I doubt it and we've already discarded the fish, guess we should have went the shipping instead just so we can get a guarantee. We ended up finding some green gobies, they seem to like our ph which I'm not thrilled about. :roll:

Here's an unfortunate update.

This morning the jawfish was doing fine. We hadn't seen him pop his head out at all this evening. At first we thought he was trapped in his burrow/cave he made but when we found him in the back of the tank 30 minutes ago, we knew he was dead. From what we're guessing since was out of his burrow is that he may have got a shell or rock stuck in his throat & choked.

Our substrate consists of the black sand & some little shells that we had scattered around the tank to accent to LR & sand. If anyone os planning on keeping a jawfish or other fish that likes to burrow it's own caves & hiding places, be sure that the substrate isn't big enough to get caught in it's throat.

I don't we'll get any more fish for this tank...at least not for a long while.

Thanks

John

Back
Top Bottom