Just bought some American-Flag Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gheitman

Aquarium Advice Addict
My LFS just got in some American-Flag Fish (aka Jordanella floridae) last weekend. These are the first they've had in stock in over a year. I bought four (two males and two females) for less than two dollars each and plan to breed them once they are mature. Attached (hopefully) is a picture of the two females in my quarantine tank. The two males wouldn't pose when I was trying to take a picture with them.

For anyone who hasn't kept these fish before they are egg layers that are native to Florida and are one of the best species of fish for controlling thread algae. They are good community fish except when spawning. When mature, the males have a distinctive pattern on their bodies that looks very much like the American flag (hence the name).

Attachments

• dsc00274.jpg
    dsc00274.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 27
I saw a couple of those at PetSmart the other day. They got them in by accident mixed in with the pacus. They were really gorgeous and were swimming circles around each other, displaying frantically. Unfortunately, they wouldn't sell them since they are not on their stock list :(

Back
Top Bottom