Just got - 45gal tank, stand, and equipment.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxst2

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Fish Tank for sale (pic)

I pick it up tomorrow. Pic seemed to make it look it good shape, we'll see.

Im not sure what I want to do.

I want to do a mainly coral tank with a clown fish and a few snails and a clam or two.... but I haven't ever done it nor know what I need to do for it... Like a sump... do i need one? Been reading in the saltwater section for the last 4 days purely to get a grasp but i really dont want to lay down a bunch of cash for coral and fish then have them die. :(

Some of the articles aren't specific on how a sump works and how a design should be made if you make one let alone what gear to use for a specific size tank. Or a list of needed tools - like where i can get them a good price and what is a good brand vs another.

I don't know how much room is in the stand for a sump so I can't say if a 20 long would be ok or what (would that be a suitable size tank for a sump? Also... what/why does some have what looks to be live rock on the sump area while some dont?

Since the tank is drilled for plumping is it possible NOT to drill? I'd rather not mess with cutting glass. Kinda not sure what to get on pumps and other gear needed.

Anyone care to help me out? If you really want to help me out I'm on AIM, YIM, and MSN. As well as Skype. lol

OK so its a 55 gal tank after some measurements. Stand is useless since im going saltwater - slowly lol. It's way to small and the tank is too low for my liking..sooo Im going to build a stand that can house a sump and a can display it better :) Also I'll be building a top for it... this is what I have in mind for lighting... please let me know if its too much. I'd like a clam or two as well as stony coral and some soft coral. Also I'd Like couple clowns for fish and the usual suspects for cleaner crew - snails, hermit crab or two, pistol, shrimps.

Like this:
x2 (2 blue and 2 white) - 36" 2 x 39w T5 HO Retrofit Kit
x2 - JBJ K-1 250W Metal Halide Retrofit Kit

On the MH light ill get some aluminum flashing to make it more parabolic and polish it up. I have two 80mm fans I can install on both sides for a push pull setup for cooling.

Timer set for first T5 for blue, then T5 white, then MH - then back down. Then: 44" LED Lighting Strip - Hamilton - or make my own with a dozen led's spread along the tank...

Jeebus good lighting is darn near half the cost of a tank setup... Anywho what you think of the above idea?

Done and Done. Got my lights bought and waiting for them to be delivered and got a nice deal on a HOB skimmer as well from a member here. :D

Back
Top Bottom