Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-30-2008, 01:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Just ordered new tank

Hi folks

Haven't posted in a while, but wanted to share our news. I just orderd a tank and cabinet for our home. It is 84x30x36, ~395 gallons. It will take the place of a current 55 gallon and a 20 long between our dining room and living room. There is a huge project ahead for us, as I must engineer and install a support from the cellar to hold this tank.

Aquariums For You was on our list when pricing out this tank, and when they sweetened the deal with a free upgrade to optically clear [starfire] glass, we went with them.

As of now, I plan to keep our fresh water inhabitants, though we are leaving the door open for SW with the placement of drains and returns.

Gonna take pictures as the project begins, and will be looking forward to sharing thoughts, comments, and critiques with AA folks.

Creamhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:59 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
WOW! a 7 foot long tank!!!! You have to post pics - not only of the tank, but also of your subfloor support. Good luck with the project!

As for stocking - how about 400 neon tetras, or 200 tiger barbs!:p

QTOFFER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 05:33 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
That is a monster tank! I can't wait to see how this turns out!
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 05:56 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am very Jealous! I can't wait to see pics. Congratulations!

greenfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 06:20 PM   #5
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Now that is a project. Should be awesome!
125g reef
See My Tank Info
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 07:22 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
can't wait to see it. Wish I could talk my husband into something like that.

mom2reds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 07:53 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
I vote for 2 goldfish....but I am a minimalist =)

Remember, saltwater you normally figure 10#/gallon full. 393 gallons (based on calculations) at 10# would be 3930# and with a 17.5sf footprint = 224.6 #/sf. That's a heck of a point load.

Typically houses are built with a 30-40#/sf live load, office buildings 65#/sf typically. You are talking about some serious bulking up. My 75g is on an exterior wall to due to the increase in capacity close to the bearing point.

Just something to think about.
Bearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 09:37 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak
We've wanted to do this for a long time, and actually had plans for a larger tank. This one will be tank enough, and should look nice when viewed from two rooms. It will be lit with 640w VHO. I told John S. that we wanted medium strength lighting, under a hood and matching cabinet. I was going to make a frame from steel, but we decided to go this route instead. The cabinete is built with 4 doors to access space for a sump, but we're going to plumb the filtration system to another room [pc room] where I'll enjoy the plant life of a 70g tank [no fish] and on to a 55g sump, before returning to a bare bottom tank.OK U guyz.........The why's & the Whynots!Dave
Old 02-15-2008, 07:21 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guyz

I've been working 3rd shift/w overtime, so time for this project has been spent mostly on thought, not action. However, I've been prepping a 20g long to be moved to my wife's office @ work, This tank was brackish/w sailfin & Hondouran mollies, bumblebee's, and MT snails. I gifted the BB's and several of the paired mollies to a LF store [hope they remember me when I'm looking for something]. Now there are 6 of the wild mollies, a large anubias, and fresh water that came about through daily water changes over the last week or more. I've been siphoning the gravel, which is filter sand for swimming pool filters while doing the PWS's, saving the sand in a 5g bucket with holes poked in the bottom to drain the water. A Fluval canister is filtering, and will be replaced with our Eheim 2213 which is helping on the 55g next to the 20. Nancy's 10g @ work has a few guppies, mollies and 5 algae eaters[new additions to clean up tank]. When we make the move, we'll merge the populations, and add a couple small pleco's as well as driftwood coming from Arizona Aquatic's via FedEx today. We will keep the 10g for hospital use in the future.

Hope to make this changover this weekend. Next move is to prepare a place for the residence of the 55g which shares the space with the 20l from above. I'll send a pic.

Old 02-15-2008, 10:51 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak
Here's a picture that shows the 20 & the 55g tanks, side by side. This is where the new cabinet and tank will be placed. The wrought iron rail is comming out...suppose it should've been removed long ago for the sake of viewing these two tanks.
Anyway, after I remove the 20, and before I can deal with the 55, I need to build a stand in another room [pc room] where I'll move the population to a dormant 70g tank. This stand will be built in a closet area that is 9' long, 23.5" deep, 7' high, and just to the left of where I'm posting this message, which is in full view. The stand will hold tanks, including a sump to filter the new tank, as well as an R/O unit, storage, and assorted aquarium supplies. The weight of these tanks which could total close to 200g, requires support, which comes prior to the task of support to the new tank [We need to name the new tank.....any ideas?] This task will relatively easy, because the 2x12 floor joists are exposed in this portion of the cellar. The supporting wall to the underside of this closet is 2x6"x10'. I'll double the 2x12's that are on 16" centers and build a support wall 2' from the existing wall. This should be more than enough to support this area. I'll send pics of this too, when I figure out how to send pics.

ps Can't figure out how to post pics....I'll do some homework and get back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Feb 15 08 fish shoes 017.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	12705  

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com