Just startin out.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hollywood

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am just starting out and thought I would show you guy's and gal's my tank. Please let me know what you think and suggestions are alway's good.
picture.php

Looking like a good start!

What are you planning on housing in the tank? Deciding what you want to keep is the biggest step. After you have that figured out we will be able to offer you more suggestions. From the look of your setup now it looks like a FOWLR. If you are going to go full reef then there are a lot of things you will need to take into consideration and research.

I am going for a full reef. Got my water tested and my alkalinty and calcium were a little low so i decided to wait a week or two to bring them up to the proper levels before adding and fish or corals. Right now all I have is crabs, snails, a brittle star, and a cleaner shrimp. I have a nice rock full of mushrooms in the corner and a few on the other rocks in the tank. That's all for now. I was thinking of going with a Volitan Lion but I would like community fish as well. So I am undecided as to which way to go.

The lion will probably not do well with other fish. They tend to eat anything they can get in their mouths. They also aren't a good fish to have in a reef because they are messy eaters and they will overload your system with waste.

If you are planning on doing a reef you will need good lighting and excellent water conditions. Adding a sump with a refugium is a good idea as well.

How large is your tank? What kind of lights do you have on there now?

90g tank with 50/50. Two 10000k and 2 of the blue. I think that's what it's called. And I am looking into a sump, just need the funding. :) I take donations! :)

Actinic.

And I think ziggy was wondering more along the lines of how many Watts do you have there? Maybe it's just the picture, but it doesn't look like much depending on what kind of corals you're looking to do.

Your current lights look like NO (normal output) floursecents. How many watt output is each of the bulbs?

I agree with the others. You should look into purchasing Compact Fluorescent or Metal Halide lighting. I would think it would be tough to set up a full blown reef tank with normal fluorescent bulbs. It would definitely limit the types of things you could house in the tank.

If it were me I would go with a T5 fixture or DIY retro kit for your tank. MH are great and I use them but if you want to limit your power use and heat issues then go with the T5s. You will be able to house most anything with the correct fixture on your tank.

You're right Ziggy953, I forgot to mention the T5 fixture. I agree it is much better than MH in terms of power use. Either way, the bottom line is you will need much stronger lighting than a traditional fluorescent bulb hood in order to set up a reef tank.

I think when I bought them the guy did call them T5's. I also do have one compact Fluorescent strip. The bulbs I bought were coral sun 10000k or somethin like that. I don't think they are just normal fluoresent.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom