Keyholes!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jchillin

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've wanted keyholes since I set up my planted tank over two years ago and could not find them. Thanks to Maxwell1295, I finally have them. So, here they are:

may22007a005.jpg

Thanks again Alan!

They will love it in there. Are they following each other all over the place? I rarely saw one without the other. You're going to love their little marital "squabbles" too. They are really peaceful fish. Enjoy!

Finally Jchillin! Congrats! :) Have they coloured up a bit since that pic? Or were they just sleeping when you took that pic? :wink: Looks like the left one in this pic is the male? U can tell by the length of the dorsal fin, but you probably know that by now :)
Let us know how they are doing!

Billsgate said:
Have they coloured up a bit since that pic? Or were they just sleeping when you took that pic?

Actually, they are still wearing the brown coloring. I had thought they would have "lightened" up by now but alas, they have not. Oh, and they were not asleep when I took that pic, just lolling around as they seem wont to do. :)

Well, I'm under the impression that these fish just adapt allot harder once they are adults, I saw the same thing happen when I moved them to my lfs, 2 weeks later when I came by to pick up my plants they were also like this.
How large are they? I'm just asking because their eyes seem pretty big in comparisson to their body in this pic (meaning they may be a bit stunted), but it may just be the pic.
And I asked if they were sleeping because IME the brown colouring is camouflage, and mine looked like that during night or when stressed, and normally more like my avatar, although they tend do grow more brownish when aging, and the full keyhole is not always on display, more when mating or breeding or defending territory.
I don't think there is much you can do about this, apart maybe from trying to set them up in a private tank, but even that might not work. They are just extremely skittish fish sadly enough.

Interesting, I did notice earlier today that the female had lightened up a bit more. At least a lot more than usual. This is the one that occasionally hangs out with the angels detailed in this thread.

This did not last long, this evening she was back to being dark and moody. They are not exactly skittish as they have ventured into everyone's territory. They seem to want to be everyone's friends. :)

Back
Top Bottom