Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-28-2014, 07:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Kribensis with guppies

Hi I'm hoping for some advice I have had my 2 kribensis (1 male and 1 female) for a little over a year I don't think they are a pair or are going to pair up. I have had barbs in with them for a while. Since moving in with my other half she has been non stop nagging claiming she wants some 'pretty fish' besides that I have been tempted to leave her for insinuating my kribs and barbs are ugly it's all about compromise (apparently ) so I am agreeing to get rid of my barbs and get some platies and guppies and other community fish similar. I am however not happy that after agreeing this I may have to get rid of my kribs I have a 40 gallon tank and as mentioned they have never reproduced in over a year. What I would like to know is in a big tank with plenty of hiding places etc. are my beautiful kribs going to eat her guppies or if there is a good mixture in there will they be ok? Please someone get back to me before Saturday with some sensible and practical advice. Otherwise it looks like my kribs will be moving out :-(

Old 01-28-2014, 09:40 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Also another thought. If guppies are a no no what other 'pretty' additions could I make that will obviously get on with my kribs, and barbs ideally some live bearers would be great as we'll any suggestions and advice really appreciated.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:56 PM   #3

Location: i dont remember. let me take my arm out of the tank.
Kribensis with guppies

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnzee View Post
Also another thought. If guppies are a no no what other 'pretty' additions could I make that will obviously get on with my kribs, and barbs ideally some live bearers would be great as we'll any suggestions and advice really appreciated.
Dalmation mollies, i have a beautiful orange hi fin platy, also a rarity but the humpbacked limia or wrestling halfbeaks. They are nicknamed "the forgotten livebearers"
Old 01-29-2014, 12:04 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Killifish are also a pretty good option. Guppies may get a little beat up by Kribs.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:05 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How about mollies or sword tails ? I don't think the Kribs will bother the guppies but since they're so small it could be a problem.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:59 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks for your help! after much thought and googling I have been considering the following convince the boss to forget about getting guppies and gradually build up a tank of:
Cherry barb 2
Green tiger barb 2
Tiger barb 2
Silver shark 3
Dwarf guarami 2
Angelfish 2
Mollies 6
Swordtails 6
Platies 6
Galaxy rasboras 6
Zebra danio 3
Leopard danio 2
Clown loach 1
Glass catfish 2
Kribensis 2
Pleco 1

Does anyone see any problems with these that I have missed? Or should these all be OK? I have googled like a mad man and I think this gives us the variety, colours and some that breed easily.

Any thoughts and advice greatly appreciated again. Thanks so much
Old 01-29-2014, 12:56 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Thanks for your help! after much thought and googling I have been considering the following convince the boss to forget about getting guppies and gradually build up a tank of:
Cherry barb 2
Green tiger barb 2
Tiger barb 2
Silver shark 3
Dwarf guarami 2
Angelfish 2
Mollies 6
Swordtails 6
Platies 6
Galaxy rasboras 6
Zebra danio 3
Leopard danio 2
Clown loach 1
Glass catfish 2
Kribensis 2
Pleco 1

Does anyone see any problems with these that I have missed? Or should these all be OK? I have googled like a mad man and I think this gives us the variety, colours and some that breed easily.

Any thoughts and advice greatly appreciated again. Thanks so much

The cherry barbs, tiger barbs (both varieties combined), clown loach, and glass fish are all schooling fish so they need to be in groups of at least 5. Other than that though I don't see a problem.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:18 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks for the reply is that not pushing the size of the tank abit though getting 5 of glass fish a 5 loaches? I've heard loaches will go with tiger barbs as one of the pack and with my green tiger barbs that would make 6 total?
Old 01-29-2014, 07:14 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

I don't believe fish of different species school together unless they don't have any other option. Some company of their own would be ideal. And as long as you're keeping up with the weekly maintenance I don't believe you would have a problem.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:28 PM   #10
Great white snark

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Hi I'm hoping for some advice I have had my 2 kribensis (1 male and 1 female) for a little over a year I don't think they are a pair or are going to pair up. I have had barbs in with them for a while. Since moving in with my other half she has been non stop nagging claiming she wants some 'pretty fish' besides that I have been tempted to leave her for insinuating my kribs and barbs are ugly it's all about compromise (apparently ) so I am agreeing to get rid of my barbs and get some platies and guppies and other community fish similar. I am however not happy that after agreeing this I may have to get rid of my kribs I have a 40 gallon tank and as mentioned they have never reproduced in over a year. What I would like to know is in a big tank with plenty of hiding places etc. are my beautiful kribs going to eat her guppies or if there is a good mixture in there will they be ok? Please someone get back to me before Saturday with some sensible and practical advice. Otherwise it looks like my kribs will be moving out :-(
Do like I did with my hubby, tell her to get her own tank with the fish SHE wants in it and to leave your tank alone. End of discussion

AA ToS
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/misc.php?do=sknetwork&page=tos
DragonFish71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
guppie, guppies, krib, kribensis

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com