Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-13-2015, 11:42 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Lake Driftwood

I went to a local lake many years ago and found a piece of driftwood that I liked. It has been out of water since. What is the best way to get it ready for the tank? I was told by my local fish store that I need to clean it due to possible pesticides and stuff.

spikypsyki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:56 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
First thing to do is see if you can press your fingernail into it. If you can, it will eventually rot.

If not,

You can boil it to get out all the tannins.

Then sun dry it if you want to be extra cautious of things living in it. Boiling should take care of it though.

Please be aware depending on the size of the wood and type it may take a long time to log over and sink on its own. Some wood will sink in days, some bigger pieces take years. You just have to be patient.

Keep soaking it underwater till it sinks or you can screw a metal plate onto the bottom of it after a while if it really doesn't want to sink.

I piled rocks on top of mine till it eventually sank on its own.

Hope this helps.

ImACoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 12:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Thank you
spikypsyki is offline   Reply With Quote

drift, driftwood, wood

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com