Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-28-2015, 12:15 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

That temperature is good. How are the crabs doing?

(GBR pair, 3 amano shrimp and a whole bunch of snails!)
Nils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 01:24 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by micaelaarnold View Post
I have read they like the temp around 75-80 and that's what my thermometer reads. I live in Arizona so my room is 80 almost all the time, it's terrible hot haha! Maybe they would appreciate it hotter though?

•30 gallon community-10 gallon hermit crab-5 gallon betta WIP-30 gallon bearded dragon WIP•
I understand that is a good temp as well. 80F in the house is probably better if you are a hermit crab than a human!!!

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 04:29 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Land Hermit Crabs

I have noticed the temp drops at night to 73-ish degrees and they are starting to slow down and loose their color a bit again dispute my efforts. I think today I may purchase either a small heating light or a under the tank heating pad for them because that is the only thing I can think that would be affecting them because I am continuing to soak them at least twice-three times a week. I also think they need more light than I am giving them so a light would only have positive affects hopefully

I am hoping it is just a long road to recovery and that they're aren't really getting any worse because I've grown very attached to them

I haven't heard anything from their previous owner on whether or not she wants them back. I am hoping for the crabs sake that I keep them in my care because when I try to tell her how to care for them she doesn't seem to listen. It also looks like she was giving them a lot of high sugar foods (ex. Sweetened coconut flakes packed full with sugar). Alternately, I've bought some organic unsweetened coconut shavings and I'm giving them corn flakes and fresh meat I get from the deli. They also really enjoy carrots and strawberries. I am wondering if the high sugared foods had also negatively affected them and their body is adjusting.

I am also wondering if putting a live plant in the tank would perk them up. I've got some moss in there right now, but has anyone tried something other than moss that their crabs liked? I know live plants are a fishes best friend, could they be a crabs best friend as well?

•30 gallon community-10 gallon hermit crab-5 gallon betta WIP-30 gallon bearded dragon WIP•
Old 08-01-2015, 04:30 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post
I understand that is a good temp as well. 80F in the house is probably better if you are a hermit crab than a human!!!

Yes 80 degrees isn't too well if you're a human 😂

Old 08-01-2015, 06:14 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

So *update*

I got them a day time and nighttime light today & some natural sea salt with no iodine in it. I'm going to mix up a home made solution from the real salt instead of the other "pre made" solution.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1438463614.674897.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	242.3 KB
ID:	275960

I just set the day time light up and one of my babies is already out of her she'll exploring 😊 I'm sensing only good things from here!

Old 08-01-2015, 07:11 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nice! I would say that the crabs are doing really good in your care. I have tried some planted ferns and some different smaller houseplants, but my crabs love digging so by the next day they would be uprooted and tipped over. Plus the plants wouldn't be able to pull any nutrients out o the substrate in the tank. I would leave it at plastic vines before you spend a ton of money on live plants that will be uprooted and eaten anyway (they will eat the plants if they get the chance lol)
(GBR pair, 3 amano shrimp and a whole bunch of snails!)
Nils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 08:26 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nils View Post
Nice! I would say that the crabs are doing really good in your care. I have tried some planted ferns and some different smaller houseplants, but my crabs love digging so by the next day they would be uprooted and tipped over. Plus the plants wouldn't be able to pull any nutrients out o the substrate in the tank. I would leave it at plastic vines before you spend a ton of money on live plants that will be uprooted and eaten anyway (they will eat the plants if they get the chance lol)

Thank you! I'm glad you told me that before I tried to buy some plants 😊 I appreciate all your help!

Tags
crab, crabs, hermit, hermit crab, hermit crabs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com