Long armed prawns?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cleggat

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Today I got 3 little creatures known as shrimp to the store.. After bringing them home one seems larger than the others and has quite a long pair of arms.. I have now been told to worry about it being a long armed prawn by a friend, can anyone tell the difference between the two at early ages (as the prawns are supposed to get much bigger)? I currently home them with 2 adfs and that's all, thanks. Here's a picture of the one I am worried about.. I probably am worrying about nothing though.

32059-albums1174-picture12379.jpg

that lokks like a young one,ghost shrimp have much thinner arms.

I think she's just a female now, she seems to look a lot like the other females with research.

Well this thread is pretty messy on my part (sorry about that) but here's a video of the shrimp and the other two, the first one is her, the second is the amano and another one I bought with her is the third.

YouTube - ‪My shrimp.‬‏

i still think its a long arm,my gs have much smaller claws.

Yeah, I don't think she's a GS after all now.. There was a picture on another site that looked just like her is was a junior Macrobrachium sp.?

Well, I've decided to move her to a 11L tank that I got as a training tank until I get some answers about her, don't want her harming my adfs/other shrimp..

I put her back like a fool, I don't even know if she needs the heat or flow/filter.... Well. I came home today, and found her munching on one of my beloved african dwarf frogs, she had devoured his legs and was eating his stomach... I have two african dwarf frogs.. She ate the other one's foot. I had to put Gucci my frog to sleep today, she was eating him alive, by the time I got him out he was 'dead' until I put him in the toilet and he managed to move his arm, so I took him out numbed and put him to sleep with cloves, I also rolled him up with some forget-me-not flowers when I was saying goodbye. A valuable lesson was learned. All of a sudden she wants to eat everything, including my frogs.. I put her in another tank. She's now 2 inches in length... 3/4 more of an inch since the 13th.. I gave her loads to eat, more than she should for her size the other day and she ate it all and still ate my frogs.. She's also turning a tan colour and seems to be getting darker... P.S. my surviving frog has been methylene blued and will be getting it again everyday for the next week or more. She's growing at 0.75 inches every 10 days. 2 inches now.

Today after the whole thing -
264059_241452409201072_100000089438621_1047866_6008460_n.jpg

murderous prawn, OFF WITH HER HEAD!!!
sorry about your frog,thats really sad.

Everyone says I should euthanize her! (I know your joking) but she's only following her instinct :(

murderous prawn, OFF WITH HER HEAD!!!
sorry about your frog,thats really sad.
I'm sorry, but I laughed.:hide:
God**** Prawn.. Best on the Barby!:brows:
Mind you.. I LOVE shrimps.. I would be happy with just a tank of them.:)

She'll make her way out of the Oscar from it's insides knowing my luck!! Not her fault though. I am pretty lonely when it comes to irl fishy friends. Unless it's irl fish owner nubs that I teach lol.

I put her back like a fool, I don't even know if she needs the heat or flow/filter.... Well. I came home today, and found her munching on one of my beloved african dwarf frogs, she had devoured his legs and was eating his stomach... I have two african dwarf frogs.. She ate the other one's foot. I had to put Gucci my frog to sleep today, she was eating him alive, by the time I got him out he was 'dead' until I put him in the toilet and he managed to move his arm, so I took him out numbed and put him to sleep with cloves, I also rolled him up with some forget-me-not flowers when I was saying goodbye. A valuable lesson was learned. All of a sudden she wants to eat everything, including my frogs.. I put her in another tank. She's now 2 inches in length... 3/4 more of an inch since the 13th.. I gave her loads to eat, more than she should for her size the other day and she ate it all and still ate my frogs.. She's also turning a tan colour and seems to be getting darker... P.S. my surviving frog has been methylene blued and will be getting it again everyday for the next week or more. She's growing at 0.75 inches every 10 days. 2 inches now.

Today after the whole thing -
264059_241452409201072_100000089438621_1047866_6008460_n.jpg

Sorry again about your frog, that's awful.

Shrimp for some reason freak me out, just the look of them lol But this one is just some sort of freak. I'd take it back lol

They used to freak me out, but I am used to them now :) If I take it back, who's going to get it, someone with a tank full of little fish?

ya so i belive you might have gotten three types of shrimp, and for the long arm one i would go with around a ten gallon aquarium with a heater as a basic setup.
But they are very cool, they like a few hiding places and might pick at plants.

These prawns should be kept in a species only tank. They will eat everything that is in the tank with them, they have voracious appetites because they grow so quickly and so big.

I had one that cleared my discus tank. Ate all the neons, then rummys, then shrimp, then discus. Sad thing is, I forgot I put it in there. I could not figure out what was going on. Moved it to a tank with 3, 14inch balla sharks and he ate one of them. Finally a 2 foot pleco ate him. He kept trying to eat the pleco so the pleco killed him. They are nasty little prawns. Bad prawn, bad.

Back
Top Bottom