Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-19-2016, 10:46 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Looking done words of wisdom

Hey everyone just looking a little advice here, I haven't kept fish for 4-5 years as I was travelling but I used to have a 40gal tank with African cichilids. Iv recently picked up a 26gal tank so I can start up again, which kind of setup or fish would you recommend. The African setups are easy on the eye and are easily maintained so I was thinking of getting them again but I'm open to ideas

Cheers

Cahal

Old 05-19-2016, 12:36 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Welcome to AA. With a 26 gal tank, I would stay away from the African's, unless you go with one of the dwarf species. Beyond that, I would look through some of the full tank shot threads in the various forums to get an idea of what type of tank appeals to you personally, and go from there.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 03:02 PM   #3

Cheers I kinda thought my tank would be too small for the African 😢
But I might look into the dwarf species. Or I had gouramis, barbs and some bottom feeders in mind too I will have a look thanks, can't make my mind up

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 05-23-2016, 08:51 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Looking done words of wisdom

Hi there, welcome back to the hobby. If I had a tank your size I'd opt for a nice freshwater planted tank. An angelfish as a centerpiece and an assortment of tetras and livebearers. I love the look of schools of neon/cardinal tetras and livebearers (especially guppies) would look beautiful too. I wouldn't suggest trying to save the fry unless you have more tanks for them because guppies multiply like crazy LOL. Gouramis are always an optionas well. Also, a pair or small group of bolivian or german rams always look great. Make sure to update us on what you choose!
Old 05-30-2016, 06:16 AM   #5

Finally got my 120litre tank going, plants and water perfect! So iv added 4 blue tiger barbs and 3 angelfish, I didn't want to add too many at the 1 time so il wait a week or 2 before I add more

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com