Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-10-2005, 05:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to Morticus
Lr arrival!

I recieved my live rock two days ago from lr.com, 20# keys, 20# gulf. Here are some pics. I have 3 unidentified red crabs, at least 2 pistol shrimp, lots of coral and anemones, a brittle star, and two baby starfish. Tons of aiptasia though...

Brittle star!

I think it's a sponge.. ID?

I need an ID on the coral on top and the thing on the left. I have tons of the coral, and the thing on the left hides every once and a while.

I don't know what it is, but it's awesome!

Blurry, but couild someone ID the macro on the bottom left?

Dark picture of aquascaping. I've redone it since then, and it looks a lot more natural now.

1.0 Albino Burmese Python
0.1 California Kingsnake
0.1 Ball Python
0.1 Amelystic Corn Snake
Morticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 05:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

liverocks.com is very nice indeed. It's nice to see you got a mixture of Gulf/Keys rock. I think it is a great combination. What did they charge you for the #40 out the door? I was looking to get some more next week from them.

Mike

Old 06-10-2005, 06:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

pic #4 is a cup coral i believe. pic #5 is a tunicate. I ordered 25lbs gulf and 25lbs keys about a month ago. I got a large brittle in my order too but he didn't survive long. I bought some "stop aptasia" and that got rid of most of them. Check for gorilla crabs though. I killed two already and I've seen atleast two more. Great rock IMO
Old 06-11-2005, 01:55 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

I paid $254 for the 40# to my door. My brittle star is doing great so far, I hope he thrives. Are gorilla crabs red with spikey arms, or purple with a yellow mouth? I have both of those.

I'd love to get some more ID's of these guys, especially the yellow and black christmas tree looking one in pic #4.

0.1 California Kingsnake
0.1 Ball Python
0.1 Amelystic Corn Snake
Old 06-11-2005, 09:52 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Don't expect that coral to survive. I had several of them and they all died and I've read posts by others saying that they couldn't keep it alive. With the exception of Porcelain Crabs, I came to the conclusion that all the crabs that came with my LR.com order were bad news.
Old 06-11-2005, 11:40 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

expect an avalanche .. I have some pistols as well and those boogers really dig... you may need to bury some of the rocks on the bottom a bit...and watch putting loose rocks on the top... been there done that..lol and what are gorilla crabs?? because I prolly have a gracous plenty of 'em...figures
Old 06-11-2005, 11:56 AM   #7
Kam
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to Kam
I received several "gorilla" crabs. I did not remove any as all of my fish are bigger and tend to keep away from them

Over the last month I have observed a battle royal as the gorilla crabs fight over food and/or rocks to live in. They are killing each other off, so I figure I will let them be.

I also have a larger Emerald Crab that I believe has taken a couple of them out.

Pistol shrimp are good, but watch for mantis shrimp. I got both.
2 Green Chromis
1 Emerald Crab
3 Peppermint Shrimp
4 Scarlet Hermit Crabs
1 Blue Knuckle Hermit Crab
1 Large Turbo Snail
Hitchhickers: 3 Purple sea urchins, lots of rock crabs, pistol shrimp, brittle stars, snails, worms, etc.
and aiptasia, aiptasia, aiptasia (it was free $$)
Kam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 12:21 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hey Morticus nice rock!

PS. Where did you get that sand?
Old 06-11-2005, 01:57 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

I got the sand from the ocean in galveston. I know people reccommend against it, but I went to a deserted beach and waded out as far as possible to dive for it. It has tons of life, and I am fully satisfied.

All my live rocks have baserock touching the glass bottom. I just found out that my 3 crabs are porcelain crabs, and that I have a little black spiney urchin! I also just saw a baby serpent star, and my CBS eating a bristle worm.

I havn't heard or seen any mantis so far, and it's been three days. I know all my corals and anemones will die off but will the tunicates and sponges?

0.1 California Kingsnake
0.1 Ball Python
0.1 Amelystic Corn Snake
Old 06-11-2005, 02:59 PM   #10
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

All sponges, require some very special care in order to survive in the home aquarium. The most critical concern is that the Sponge should never be exposed to the air. If it is, the air becomes trapped in the matrix of channels that line the inside of its body. With air blocking the path for planktonic food to reach its cells, it will basically starve.
This is something I coppied from liveaquia on sponges. Since it was exposed to air it will not survive. If that is what it is ,which I don`t know. Sorry. Have a good day

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com