Massive Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cole_russell

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay hopefully I can get some responses quick because in an hour I'll be going to pick up what looks like a 6'x2'x2' aquarium. It's still full of fish and plants what is my best mode of transportation for the living things? Also would an aquarium be able to be placed outside and run without casualties? It would be placed in the shade so the sun wouldn't fry it but more importantly would a heater act as a cooler as well bringing the temperature of the water down to the desired level? I live in Arizona so the heat would quickly burn up the fish and if it didn't kill them during the day the temperature fluctuation at night definitely would. Hince' the question will a heater work both ways?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You would have to have a heater for night and a chiller for day. Your going to suffer a lot of evaporation and algae. If you want something outside would probably be best to do a pond and enjoy the tank inside. I to am doing a fish move and got some good feed back. Put aquarium water in a container and place the fish in there put some kind of lid on there that will help protect spillage but not restrict airflow on the surface of the water. Was told the fish will be done for a short trip like this.

heater wont work as cooler. use a cooler to transport fish with a airpump. you can use a working fridge drill a pair of holes in the door and coil up like 100 feet of hose in it and pump the tank water through it to cool but thats a last resort. set the tank up inside

Alright just looking for options more or less. A tank like that is hard to find a place for. I'm taking it off someones hands for the labor of getting it out of his house. Hopefully I can find a place for it

You will and you will enjoy it much more indoors where you can see it all the time. Make sure you have a good stand for it though will weigh a lot.

That's a nice size Its a 180 gallon and weighs 282 lbs empty and 2100 lbs full just make sure your floor can handle it and the stand. almost Endless possibilities on stock.

Yeah 180 built into a bar. Very heavy have it on a flat bed trailer right now. May have to sell it, unless I can convince my mom to let it inside.

Looks like I'm not putting it in the house mom hates em... Guess I'm selling it and the stand D: w/ halogen light. The filtration was the most complicated thing I've ever seen! I actually think it's an RO unit somehow diy-d into a filter in conjunction with a chiller and another unit. I'll prob post pics of the setups tomorrow, so many pieces of hardware... I'm in over my head on this one. Lots of plumbing etc.

Wow, expensive set up there. A chiller for a smaller tank is more than 300. Can't imagine what it would cost on an 180g. If you sell the tank you'll make a great deal of money.

At least that's the upside. the chiller looks like a computer tower.

I'd never know I could never afford one. Too bad you can't keep the tank.

I know, we have the space! Just can't get the mom to agree...

Gunna be selling a lot of bronze crypts too...

No it will not ,A heater only works to heat the tank to its set temp and that's it . Only if you buy a chiller for the tank then it will cool it down , but keeping the tank out side is not a good idea , for bugs and debre will find its way in the tank and make a miss of it . Also birds and cats will find a nice meal of your fish and might make the water dirty for birds will sun bath , and the tank needs a bit of open area on the lid so the water doesn't get stagnant and proper Oxygen is exchanged in the surface in some setup so it not a bad idea to have the back part open so air movement isn't a problem and try to keep out of the sun for it will have a huge elge break out . Hope it all works out for ya

I could make it work outside I have the equipment but I don't want to deal with the sun part and all of the power supply's not to mention the plumbing under the darn thing. Esp. with the rainy season starting it would be a disaster waiting to happen.

Ya the out door thing would be nice especially in a brick wall slash BBQ , out door dining area , would be a nice relaxing area for it .

I could make it work outside I have the equipment but I don't want to deal with the sun part and all of the power supply's not to mention the plumbing under the darn thing. Esp. with the rainy season starting it would be a disaster waiting to happen.

Putting the whole thing under a big white umbrella or awning would help but you would still need to use the chiller.

Those tanks are like $800 new

I think I'm going to try to get like $1000 for the whole set up probably list it as $1200 so if someone decides to lowball me I have some bargaining room.

Back
Top Bottom