Meet Phasma. First time tank owner!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RetiredJedi

Aquarium Advice Regular
He's a Half Moon Plakat male Betta. I've got him in a 6.2 gallon bow front with a built in filter and pump, but no heater. I plan on getting him a decent one to hang on the side.

I also tossed 3 baby Moss balls in there as well after doing some research on their resiliency. He definitely needs a broad leafed plant to sleep on though and maybe something to hide in.

1491336316510.jpg

1491336091592.jpg

Nice! Welcome to the world of Aquaria! That's a really nice looking betta you have there.

I'm curious, have you read up on the nitrogen cycle at all?

Nice! Welcome to the world of Aquaria! That's a really nice looking betta you have there.

I'm curious, have you read up on the nitrogen cycle at all?
Yes, I have read that a betta is a good fish-in cycle candidate and I have the API master test kit coming this week in the mail. I've used water conditioner as well, but I am on well water that is almost as soft as the purified water water similar to what they were keeping him in at Petco.

I've been considering asking if I can get a small bag with a handful of gravel from their tank to help cycle mine. Would this be wise?

Yes, I have read that a betta is a good fish-in cycle candidate and I have the API master test kit coming this week in the mail. I've used water conditioner as well, but I am on well water that is almost as soft as the purified water water similar to what they were keeping him in at Petco.

I've been considering asking if I can get a small bag with a handful of gravel from their tank to help cycle mine. Would this be wise?

Well, it's a mixed bag when you do something like that. On one hand you get beneficial bacteria. On the other you get any nasties that would be lurking in the tanks. Personally, I would use this opportunity to get in the habit or controlling your water parameters. This hobby tends to become addictive and more tanks tend to loom after a new betta purchase :)

I'm just not going to mention about my new 180gal reef I'm planning on setting up this week

This is excellent. I'm really enjoying the community interaction here and am glad I found this app! I do confess to having the urge to start a planted shrimp tank.

This is excellent. I'm really enjoying the community interaction here and am glad I found this app! I do confess to having the urge to start a planted shrimp tank.

sounds like a good time to start a planted shrimp tank then!

I really like those tanks. I think there a bigger odd ball size one. I almost bought one once.

Update on my tank if anyone is curious! Added a sunset fire platy and two ghost shrimp, all getting along fine!

Attachments

• 20170601_103354.jpg
    20170601_103354.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 60
Back
Top Bottom