Metricide 14

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KristaButler

Aquarium Advice Freak
Simple question.

Do I just put it in the tank? In the corner? Is there any special way of actually dumping it in the tank? Didn't want to harm the fish.

May the force be with you.

I used to use Seachem Excel and when it ran out, I filled half of the 500 mL bottle with DI water and the other half with Glutaraldehyde. That resulted in a solution similar to Excel. Plus, the bottle protected the glut from light (which will break it down). I would then dose 1 mL to every 2 gallons daily. If you are just starting out, I would go with a lower dosage and gradually increase it. Be careful; some plants do not tolerate it well (anacharis and Vals).
I use a pediatric oral medicine syringe (grocery store, $0.79) attached to a shot length of air line tubing. I shoot it into the current produced by the HOB filters.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Some of my Anacharis has melted from my excel and some of it hasn't. I think if you're careful and and don't go nuts with it you can get away with it.

_________
Yelling into the tin can from the far end of the string

But sure to THROW AWAY the small bottle of activator that is usually shipped with Metricide.
Just start slowly and gradually with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Noooooo! You added the activator?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Throw it out, sorry, order a new bottle..
Perform a couple wc's to be safe as well

Dang it. The force is not with me. I hope it doesn't kill my fish. I get it now. Jeez. I don't have time to do a water change. Maybe in a hour.

If you did one small dose in a 55 I can't see it trashing the tank.. prolonged exposure would probably be an issue..

I'm hoping not. I needed to do a water change today either way. By the way, I've been running my finnex only for 2 days and my plants are already starting to pink up. :)

Update on dosing my tank with metricide 14 with the activator. I've lost 2 fish. 1 was a newly added, so it may have just been stress.

But today I lost a male sword that I've had since I started up from the beginning. I am assuming his was probably from the chemical.

All specs look good on the water. So far no ammonia spike, nitrates and nitrites are 0. Now let me say, I am currently using the dipsticks. Haven't upgraded to the liquid api master test yet.

Did another water change today. Fingers crossed for no more deaths.

Back
Top Bottom