Mexican Dwarf Crayfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How are they doing with the cories? I love these boogers but I,m afraid they will mess with the ADFs or my pygmies.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The first one to molt was killed by the other while it was recovering, so he didnt make it.
And then the one that was left seemed to have trouble with its molting and died last weekend.
Not sure where I went wrong. There's plenty of hiding spots for post-molt recovery. And I was feeding the same Crab Cuisine I feed my big crayfish, so there shouldnt have been any molting problems.

During the (roughly) one month that I had at least one in the tank with my corys, I did have one cory death. It didn't seem to be the result of a physical attack and the water parameters were normal, so again, Im not sure where I went wrong.

After observing them, however, I wouldnt have them with ADF. The pygmy corys are fairly good about keeping track of their surroundings and are fast enough to get away. Its my understanding that ADF have pretty poor eyesight and kind of slow.

The first one to molt was killed by the other while it was recovering, so he didnt make it.
And then the one that was left seemed to have trouble with its molting and died last weekend.
Not sure where I went wrong. There's plenty of hiding spots for post-molt recovery. And I was feeding the same Crab Cuisine I feed my big crayfish, so there shouldnt have been any molting problems.

During the (roughly) one month that I had at least one in the tank with my corys, I did have one cory death. It didn't seem to be the result of a physical attack and the water parameters were normal, so again, Im not sure where I went wrong.

After observing them, however, I wouldnt have them with ADF. The pygmy corys are fairly good about keeping track of their surroundings and are fast enough to get away. Its my understanding that ADF have pretty poor eyesight and kind of slow.

Sorry to hear about them. Agreed the ADF would likely be hurt or maimed by them. They don't seem to see well from watching them eat. But they are so adorable and fun to watch.

I had baby CPO and didn't know any better I should have separated them. They ate each other:eek: It had to be for territory because they were always well fed and good tank parameters in an aged mature, stable tank. I wonder if they'd have preferred a higher pH, mine was around 6.4 to 7.2 unknown which because it fluctuated during the seasons from where our water provider got the water, the lake or the reservoir. Also fed Shrimp and Crab Cuisine and other food variety.

Last edited:
Good to know! I was afraid of rhar with the ADFs. Darn.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom