Molly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dler Alqadhi

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have 55 gallon tank, with 20 fishes in it. I had 2 male mollys, 1 is dead today and the other was very healthy in the morning, then afternoon i noticed he can't move his left pectoral fin and just laying on the bottom of the tank, look like he is dying, I dont know what to do, why they are dying. I have 3 femals also and they are doing fine. My tank also contains: 3 gold fishes, 1 moore fish, 1 angel fish, 2 discus fish, 2 guppies, 3 swordtail fish, 1 clawn loach, 1 betta.

What are your water parameters.

You could also be asking for future problems with your stocking, golfish are cold water fish while discus like 80degrees +.

Really I dont know about water paremeters as I didnt purchase the kit yet. However the temperature is between 25-30 C and all of them are doing well and seem to be happy. I do weekly 25% water changes.

Trying not to be too critical but every one of you fish species is pretty much incompatible with at least one other in the group or requires different water parameters. They may look happy, but you probably have some big issues coming in the future.

Your stocking in the short term will make keeping water quality acceptable almost impossible, that's probably what lead to the deaths. I recommend getting the app freshwater master test kit as soon as possible. It's not cheap but it will last a long time and is the second most important piece of equipment needed for a fishkeeper.
It's also cheaper than buying the tests separate.

If you do that then you can fix your water quality, then there's plenty of help here to work on your stocking issues, many here way more knowledgeable than me. Will be a distinct possibility you may lose more fish yet

As already mentioned above, your stocking for the tank is bound to run into trouble soon..

I'm surprised it hasn't happened already. Keeping coldwater fish with tropical isn't ideal, lots of people are against it and goldfish produce A LOT of waste which fish like discus are very sensitive to.. for a tank that is 55 gallons you are very overstocked I'm afraid. Also - it's likely that the betta will be bullied in that tank, they usually prefer their own tank where their fins cannot be nipped by the likes of angel fish! And clown loaches should be kept in groups of 5 or more.. Not to sound like a killjoy and I don't want to dampen your spirits but the list of problems is endless.

I hope that your molly can pull through but by the sounds of the stock it sounds like it will be very stressed out. Did you cycle the tank first? what are your water parameters?

To prevent further deaths, return the fish. Like seriously pack them up today. Right now is the right time to research, decide what you want your tank to look like, and get it cycled.

Any other course of action will just be fanning fires you're attempting to put out.

Back
Top Bottom