Moving my 40 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jenn2464

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I'm getting ready to move from an apartment to our first house. I'm looking for advice on the best way to move my 40 gallon freshwater aquarium. I've successfully moved smaller aquariums in the past, but I'm a bit intimidated by this one since it is bigger, more water is involved, and I have plants now. The plants are rooted into a layer of soil, which is covered by sand. Currently I have 6 neon tetras, 3 swordtails, and 1 gourami. I'll have possession of the house at the beginning of April, and don't have to be completely out of the apartment until May 1st. Just not sure how to organize everything.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

If first get the dates straightened out because you want the tank to be down as little time as possible.

When the time comes:

1. Siphon out as much water as possible into buckets.

2. Put the fish in the buckets, some people if it's a long journey will do battery powered air pumps.

3. Seeing as you have plants I would leave the substrate alone so as to not mess up the root systems.

4. Remove any decor or large rocks. Pretty much anything that's not a rooted plant.

5. Remove all electronics. Filters, heaters, air stones, UV, etc.... Make sure to put filter media in a bucket of tank water to preserve the cycle.

6. Grab a buddy/buddies and most of the weight should be out of the tank besides substrate.

7. As soon as you get to the house make it top priority to set it right back up as fast as possible.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to need some more buckets. :)

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom