Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-03-2012, 07:50 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Lol I was thinking Malaysian Trumpet Snails, Does it also stand for More Tanks Syndrome?

I've got fishes in my head...
KlcoKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:21 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlcoKN View Post
Lol I was thinking Malaysian Trumpet Snails, Does it also stand for More Tanks Syndrome?
Yes it does LOL! I thought the same thing

Old 03-11-2012, 05:22 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

What has transpired with your new tank since you posted this?
Old 03-11-2012, 01:54 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'll try to get some pictures of them today. They are ALL a work in progress. The 29 is going to be a breeding tank for electric blue rams I think (it's not established enough for them yet). One 10 is my daughter's betta/neons tank. My half moon 10 houses my 3 girl guppies and a boy endler (experimenting with hybrids there). I'm setting up yet another 10 today for my guppy fry. And I just got a 6 that I plan to heavily plant and put blue tiger shrimp in.

It's an addiction....lol....there are never enough tanks for all of the ideas in my head.
Old 03-11-2012, 02:03 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

multiple tank syndrome rocks when you can get your wife in on it, I've got a 150,90,26 gal up and running and @ 4 other tanks waitng in the wings for future ideas
Old 03-11-2012, 02:38 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Jill- Interesting project. Depends on how you find the fish (healthy or in need of serious meds) and how far you have to travel. I would do the cautious route and take the fish home in buckets using their tank water. You don't want to shock them with new, pristine water so use at least half a tanks worth of their water to reassemble tank. Keep the filter submerged so the good bacteria survive the trip, and then reassemble the tank with their water plus topping off with new, conditioned water, if needed.

Somehow you want to quarantine these fish before adding them to your tanks. (Or do the reverse method-sacrifice a fish from one of your established tanks by putting him in the 10g. If he lives for two +weeks without any ill effects, then the fish in the new tank are probably ok to add to your tanks. I read this on one of these forums but never tried it). After quarantine just follow the standard drip method: put the fish to be transferred in a container with his water, then slowly add the new tank water over an hours time-then net fish and add to new tank. I"ve learned that no two tanks are the same-my 75g and 10g have different ph levels for instance so I acclimate the fish depending on which tank they are moving into. Good luck with your free find!
Old 03-11-2012, 03:21 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by debisbooked View Post
Jill- Interesting project. Depends on how you find the fish (healthy or in need of serious meds) and how far you have to travel. I would do the cautious route and take the fish home in buckets using their tank water. You don't want to shock them with new, pristine water so use at least half a tanks worth of their water to reassemble tank. Keep the filter submerged so the good bacteria survive the trip, and then reassemble the tank with their water plus topping off with new, conditioned water, if needed.

Somehow you want to quarantine these fish before adding them to your tanks. (Or do the reverse method-sacrifice a fish from one of your established tanks by putting him in the 10g. If he lives for two +weeks without any ill effects, then the fish in the new tank are probably ok to add to your tanks. I read this on one of these forums but never tried it). After quarantine just follow the standard drip method: put the fish to be transferred in a container with his water, then slowly add the new tank water over an hours time-then net fish and add to new tank. I"ve learned that no two tanks are the same-my 75g and 10g have different ph levels for instance so I acclimate the fish depending on which tank they are moving into. Good luck with your free find!
I always use established filter media to start up a new tank, and I'm pretty anal about checking parameters daily and doing water changes when needed.

New fish go into quarantine before being introduced to new tank mates.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:30 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ooooh sounds like fun! Isn't MTS great? LOL!

Tags
mts

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com