Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-04-2006, 11:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to Gloomy
My dog found a turtle

I was out today and my boyfriend called...the dog was playing with a turtle...he took it away...what should he do...I come home to a 6 inch water turtle...which we think is a yellow belly slider...He wants to keep it...so we spent every single dollar we have to get 30 gal aquarium....its a big square..a UV light and a basking light and some turtle food. I would be really grateful for any advice on the proper care of sliders...Kinda shooting in the dark here...does anyone have any experience with these?? Oh yeah...I live in the desert...so somebody most likely just dumped him out...grrrrrrr...Thanks for amy advice

Old 10-04-2006, 11:52 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I can't say I know alot about turtle care, but I've made a decent habitat for mine (which I believe is also a yellow-bellied slider). I used some sandstone and some driftwood, filled the tank (29gal) about 3/4 full. Also allow for a spot completely out of water, for him to 'bask'.

This pic is a couple months old, so design has changed a bit. From what I've read, they go through a mainly plant-eating phase as young and juveniles, then move to a more meat based diet as they reach adulthood. I'll post a new pic tomorrow, I need to take pics of my tanks anyways.

Old 10-04-2006, 11:57 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
I have two red-eared sliders. The most important thing is correct lighting (both uva and uvb), good filtration (you think fish are dirty?!), and a completely dry basking area.

Any chance you can get a picture of the turtle? The canned food will work for now. Mine also love veggies, crickets and worms(which I buy canned at petsmart).

I can post pics of my setup tommorow, as well as some pictures of the turtles for comparison.

Good on you for rescuing the lil thing!

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 11:58 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

This morning it looks to be doing better.....I went to check on the turtle and he came over and was checking me out...I think he was dehydrated and shell shocked yesterday. I took a picture http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...ish/turtle.jpg
I like your setup evercl92...I do like the tank we got him....its a foot high and its a big square...We thought that would be better if he starts getting bigger...if he does? Right now his setup is bricks and a few rock and water....Is a 60 watt basking lamp and a 15 watt UV/UVB light okay for now? And what kind of filtration should I get??
Old 10-05-2006, 02:15 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Here are new pics. Added a filter. Moved some rock out, some driftwood in. His tank buddies include a male fiddler crab, 2 male kribensis, and about 4 baby guppies. He had a female swordtail too, but she moved to the 75 gal this AM... with my 14inch oscar... who made short work of her.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:45 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Hey that is cool...Here is a pic of our jury rigged tank...we got a Cascade 500 underwater filter today also...

And a better pic of the turtle....

I have always thoght that Oscars were spiffy....I was cruisin' through the LFS today and saw Blueberry Oscars...they were BLUE! They were totally awesome looking....I have never heard of those before today...
Old 10-05-2006, 08:37 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

just so you know, the reason you haven't heard of those oscars is because they are dyed blue. There is no natural blue color variation, only reds, oranges, blacks, and mixes of the three.

Nice looking turtle.
The chicken wire adds a nice "ghetto" touch to the tank.. haha
Old 10-05-2006, 08:50 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Very nice looking!

Just wanted to add a few things. Keep an eye on the bottom of the turtle for areas of red. This is blood, and means the turtle has a systemic infection that needs antibiotics immediatley. It's not really as common as other issues, but you don't know how healthy the turtle was before you got it. From the looks of the turtle's front claws it looks like you have a girl turtle.

I will try and get pictures of my tank as well, which doesn't look anywhere near as good as yours evercl92.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 02:20 PM   #9
God of primitive fishes

Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
Your habitat appears fine for now (it could use some tweaking eventually). I am glad to see that you were quick to realise the main requirements of the animal and provided proper basking space and light, as well as good filtration and reasonable space.

An excellent reference site is: http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/

Keep up with your water-changes, vary his/her diet, and you should have a healthy, happy turtle for a good 3-4 decades.
www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Toirtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 03:56 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thank you for all the help and advice...I have been watching the turtle closely for signs of anything...I noticed that her skin is peeling in big white chunks...What could this be? It has slowed down a bit...but I am a little concerned. Maybe it was from being all dried out in the sun for who knows how long??
I'm running out in a bit to get some mealworms..fed her some bloodworms last night and she ate some pellets...so far she only seems interested in worms...I got some romaine lettuce this morning also.
I also managed to crack a terra cotta pot in half for a nice little hidey spot...she seems to like to sit on top of it.
How can you tell the difference between a male and female slider??
We were thinking about the name Schnerdle...hehe
Thanks again for the help!!

Tags
turtle

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com