Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-05-2006, 02:21 AM   #1
RoK
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to RoK Send a message via MSN to RoK
My Eartheater Cichlids - Update 3/24/06

Quite peaceful and beautiful cichlid. I've been looking for them ever since a friend had one. I found some of these cichlids at a store and bought this one on Tuesday. Unfortunately, the camera doesn't capture the amazing iridescent blue spots all over the body. The last pic somewhat shows some of the bluish spots, but nothing like in real life. The blue gourami (bluey isn't in this tank anymore, it's a different fish in there) wanted to have her picture taken as well. Oh, and please excuse the algae.
I can't seem to identify the species though: http://members.aol.com/pmchefalo/JURUPROJ.htm
I think it's either Satanoperca daemon or Satanoperca acuticeps.

Anyone have experience with any Satanoperca?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2006_0104_satanoperca_cichlid3.jpg (85.1 KB, 110 views)

Current fish (includes all 3 running tanks): Polypterids, severums (of which I raised from eggs), gouramis, plecos (gold spot ones & a gurupa), loaches (zebras, yoyos, & a kubotai), macculocchi spotted silver dollars, an African butterfly fish, & Ctenopomas (a leopard & an ansorgii)
RoK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 03:34 AM   #2
God of primitive fishes

Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
Very nice...looks like S. dæmon...chap I know in Vancouver is a big Satanoperca fan:
http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/...man/index.html

www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Toirtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 10:49 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to SerLunchbox Send a message via AIM to SerLunchbox Send a message via MSN to SerLunchbox Send a message via Yahoo to SerLunchbox
nice looking fish!

Tankless ... for now ... until i find what i really want (and what the wife lets me get!)
SerLunchbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 05:50 PM   #4
RoK
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks.
Yeah, after I looked at some other sites and read a bit more, I'm also pretty sure it's S. daemon.

Christian, you wouldn't happen to know if those hole-like things on the nose area are normal, would you? There's many and it looks like some on the head, which I'm concerned could be HITH.
Current fish (includes all 3 running tanks): Polypterids, severums (of which I raised from eggs), gouramis, plecos (gold spot ones & a gurupa), loaches (zebras, yoyos, & a kubotai), macculocchi spotted silver dollars, an African butterfly fish, & Ctenopomas (a leopard & an ansorgii)
Old 01-05-2006, 05:53 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
Very nice looking fish. Congrats on the purchase.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:17 PM   #6
God of primitive fishes

Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoK
Christian, you wouldn't happen to know if those hole-like things on the nose area are normal, would you? There's many and it looks like some on the head, which I'm concerned could be HITH.
Yes, they are (the very symmetrical pattern is a giveaway that they are morphological)....although I am glad you didn't ask anything more difficult...they are one group of fish that I have never kept or done a lot of study on.
www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Toirtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 08:45 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
That is a superb looking fish! Congrats!

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 03:49 AM   #8
RoK
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just read the article Lee wrote on the Satanoperca daemon and it's got me intimidated. This species seems to be one of the much more difficult to keep than other Satanoperca. Almost sounds like I'm keeping a discus by that article. Says they need incredibly clean water (that isn't really much of the problem), low pH, high temperature and best kept in a large species tank.
I don't know if I can provide all those things right now.
I don't suppose Lee would want another? :P
Old 01-07-2006, 08:01 PM   #9
RoK
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, although I don't know if anyone's any longer paying attention to this thread or not but I've decided to keep it anyway. I'm putting it in my 55g, raising the temp to about 83-84F, relocating the loaches to another tank, doing larger PWCs every week, and off to looking for a larger piece of driftwood.
Old 01-07-2006, 09:01 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

awesome (obviously someone is still following your thread )... do you think you'll have some more of the same fish in that tank if you can find them? I love the look of that fish. It is nice to see something different

Tags
cichlid, cichlids, eat, eater, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com