My first 55g tank. Need some pointers.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jonnypro

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 2 filters 2 heaters and plenty of bubblers. Now I put the water in on Saturday and put in De Chlorineizer. I did a ph test today and it's perfect. I am adding some fish tomorrow to the tank and I know the routine on how to introduce them. I don't know what kind of fish to go with. I know that I am going to put in some bala sharks in the tank. What other fish can I get that will go good with the balas or red tails?

image-4091749980.jpg

Before you add anything to your tank you need to read about the cycling.

Here is a link to fishless cycling using ammonia.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...-Guide-and-FAQ-to-Fishless-Cycling/Page1.html

I am currently doing the above with my 50gallon tank.

The idea is that fish produce waste, wasted food and fish pooh which adds ammonia into your tank. By cycling your tank this creates a beneficial bacteria colony that deal with the ammonia by converting into less harmful chemicals.

Ammonia into Nitrite into Nitrate.

Using a testing kit such as the API FRESHWATER MASTER TEST KIT you can test for all the chemicals and their quantities in your water.

Once your tank is cycled you can start adding fish. Unless you plan on doing a fish-in cycle. But from your post it doesn't sound like you know about the cycling process.

Next comes your choice of fish.

The Bala shark through research of my own needs a very big tank. I was looking for my own tank but at 50g I only just have a big enough tank. Also Bala sharks aka silver sharks shouldn't be in pairs as they are very territorial. They dislike any fish with a remotely similar shape and they can grow up to 45cm in size

An alternative to a bala shark is another fish called a flying fox.

I suggest you read a lot more information before stocking your tank with fish that are probably going to die.

I am a newbie myself.

Jon

I agree with the above post, cycling does take some time but believe me you will be thankful that you done it, and your fish will be 2 and you will see them thrive in there happy home which in return gives you more enjoyment! Win win situation :) your tank looks really nice 2, I like what you done with the lights. Good luck :)

I am planning on doing a fish in cycle. I am going to start with some hearty fish. They say feed sparingly and either every day or every other day do a 15% water change. When I do that I will add the de chlorinator to the water before I put it in and try to match the tempature best I can. Does this help. A few of the stuff that was in the aquarium was from another fish tank. Also the filters were from another tank as well. I did clean them out though so that probably defeated the propose. Any other input would be nice. Thanks. Jon.

In order to be responsible and not to harm your fish IMO you need to be able to test the parameters of your water during your fish in cycle.

Get yourself an Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate testing kit.

If you read the links that were provided to you before my link there should be an explanation about fish in cycling.

Good luck.

Jon

So I just put the fish in. I kept then in the bag for 45 min then added some tank water. 15 min later I put them In. Now is there anything I should do in the next 11 hrs. I don't want to have new tank syndrome. When should I put food in and when should I do a 15% water change to get rid of the ammonia. ????? Thanks all?!!!!!

Test (get a decent test kit, the API is middle of the road and good to start with) and water change daily if needed. You want to
Get a good quality Water conditioner Like SeaChem Prime. Petsmart, petco and Amazon sell them.
Now some on the forum will Disagree but you can use a Product like Stability (by SeaChem) it worked for me and sped up my cycle, but I was using Seeded Filter media. Feed sparingly one a day.

My Advice is to go to the article section and read up as much as you can on cycling.
You are going to be busy the next couple months....Good Luck

So it's been 12 hrs since I put the fish in and I did all the tests and they are all still perfect. Is this a good thing. I fed them a pinch last night and one this morning. When should info a 15% water change??? When can I add new fish. What's the next step. When should I vacume the bottom?? I have 1 dwarf neon 2 rambos and 2 bala. All 2".

I wouldn't add any more fish right now.

Keep testing
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate

At some point over the next few days ammonia and or nitrite will rise. When it does you will need to do approx 50% pwc to lower the levels. You need to keep ammonia and nitrite as low as possible during this time.

Jon

A little more specific instructions to keep a healthy tank...

Test daily with a good liquid test kit...

When Ammonia is over .25 ppm, water change..50% water change lowers Ammonia by 50%. Near 0 is best.

When NitrItes reach .25 levels, 50% water change...even prolonged exposure of .1 can degrade fish health.

When NitrAtes reach 40, a 50% water change is in order...

A little more specific instructions to keep a healthy tank...

Test daily with a good liquid test kit...

When Ammonia is over .25 ppm, water change..50% water change lowers Ammonia by 50%. Near 0 is best.

When NitrItes reach .25 levels, 50% water change...even prolonged exposure of .1 can degrade fish health.

When NitrAtes reach 40, a 50% water change is in order...

This is all good advice

So when I do a 50% water change I should put in the dechlorinzer in. And What's the best way to get the water to about the same temperature?? .

There are a couple of different ways to use the water conditioners.

Some people remove water from their tanks then add a full tanks worth of conditioner and then fill up with new water.

Others treat only the water they add into the tank.

I use some warm water mixed in with the cold to get temp to where I need it.

Jon

So one of the bala's has died. All the levels were fine, except the ph solution was wrong so i was getting a bad reading The reason behind it was that I was using high ph test solution. And a saltwater ph chart. I had gotten it all from a friend. I have the right ph testing solution and I put in the ph+and - So I will check tomorrow morning my levels and again tomorrow night possibly doing a little cleaning and a 15% water change.

Back
Top Bottom