My first Apisto

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coursair

Aquarium Advice Addict
Nancy Drumm and I did a spur of the moment trip to Neptunes. I still had a gift card for them and I had a cycled empty 10 gallon. Lots of plants and a few leftover cherry shrimp. I've always admired Apistos , but I've never actually had one.

So I grabbed a Apisto agassizii Double Red male ...

and will see how he does in the 10 gallon if he does well under my conditions I'll consider getting him a bigger tank and a mate.

He will be the only fish in this tank. My 55g is stuffed with fish and I don't want him to deal with the zippy fish.

If anyone has advice or links I should read, let me know.

I just did a big water change on the 10g and added Prime. He's acclimating now.

Target temp ? 76°F...is that ok. Pics will be up soon.

Last edited:
It sort of depends which double red apisto you have but if it is A. cacatuoides, the tank raised variants are generally tolerant of a wide range of water conditions. Temp and ph values aren't anything to be overly concerned with unless you are breeding them.

A single male will be fine in a 10g tank. A pair might be a problem. It just depends on the fish. Sometimes they need a little space shortly after spawning, especially in a tank by themselves. A. cacatuoides is one of the bigger Apistos and it might be hard to get that in a 10g tank.

Here is my boy. Bright and alert and looking for food. Pics don't do him justice.

He is a youngster. Under 2" I think.

IMG_5014.jpgIMG_4992.jpg
IMG_5006.jpg

Apologies for dirty glass. I'm still cleaning this up after the great Dwarf Sag explosion of 2017.

I offered a little Omega One tiny Pellets and Color Flakes.

I'll offer frozen food later.

I offered him frozen bloodworms, hoping the pieces weren't too big. He inhaled the biggest piece and then had to think about it. I dropped in 2 other smaller pieces but he did not see them in time so they're resting on the bottom. I'm hoping he will come across them as he does seem to be actively foraging. I'm not currently seeing my cherry shrimp in there so it's possible he's also snacked on some shrimp. I plan to set up a colony of cherry shrimp so that I can offer live food periodically in the future.

To those who have kept Apistos, what temperature did the Aggies prefer?

I did go out and buy him a cheap cave today it was slightly damaged I got it for $.50
IMG_0051.jpg

I bought a heater, an Eheim, but I hate how visible it is. I may break down and buy a Cobalt. Any other suggestions for black or small heaters ??50 watts probably.

Yes. I was worried he'd be super shy. But he's very curious. He does startle easily, but I'm hoping to get him some pencilfish later.

I think he loves his cave
IMG_5023.jpg
IMG_5024.jpg

A tiny side exit is used also
IMG_5025.jpg

I have been scrubbing GSA. Apparently right in front of his cave is the worst.

But so unattractive. I guess I could glue Moss or Ferns to it.
Haha we have differing tastes I guess. I don't have anything man made in my tanks other than electronics.. clay pots are in for me. Cichlid stones may as well be a rusty licence plate
Coconut husk caves!!!!

I don't have anything man made in my tanks other than electronics.. clay pots are in for me.

Aren't clay pots just as man made as cichlid stones? I mean, I have never looked into specifically but I assume that clay pots don't occur naturally.

Coconut hut was my next thought. I know so can grow some stuff on those.

They look awesome but they can be a pain to keep underwater if you don't have a way to weigh them down. I found every time I bumped mine they would float around.

Agreed, clay pots are awesome!

Really like your apisto! Thinking about Shellies (multi) myself when I get room, but may rethink.

Thank you. He just made his first grab at RCS. The Shrimp are hiding now. He's quite the hunter.

This tank has plenty of microorganisms besides Shrimp. So I'll still offer bloodworms, but I think he'll have lots to eat for now.

IMG_5054.jpg

They look awesome but they can be a pain to keep underwater if you don't have a way to weigh them down. I found every time I bumped mine they would float around.

That would be annoying. If I had a pair I'd be more concerned about doorway size and room for eggs.

But for now one young male and some soon to be digested Shrimp.

It's hard for me to add such a predator, knowing he'll kill the Shrimp. But these have inbred so much, I don't want to start a new colony with them. I love my Shrimples.

I am thinking I'll set up an RCS colony in my empty 10g. Or swap him into that one, once it's stable. It's the prettier tank. But it's Rimless ?? So maybe too bright ??
Hmm.

IMG_5041.jpg

What temp for maintenance ?? 75°F ??

Aren't clay pots just as man made as cichlid stones? I mean, I have never looked into specifically but I assume that clay pots don't occur naturally.
Yah.. they were made by hand but they're clay! I dunno.. It's all I can stand..

Yah.. they were made by hand but they're clay! I dunno.. It's all I can stand..
That would be annoying. If I had a pair I'd be more concerned about doorway size and room for eggs.

But for now one young male and some soon to be digested Shrimp.

It's hard for me to add such a predator, knowing he'll kill the Shrimp. But these have inbred so much, I don't want to start a new colony with them. I love my Shrimples.

I am thinking I'll set up an RCS colony in my empty 10g. Or swap him into that one, once it's stable. It's the prettier tank. But it's Rimless ?? So maybe too bright ??
Hmm.

View attachment 303057

What temp for maintenance ?? 75°F ??
76-78, he's going to look awesome with all the shrimpie diet!

Back
Top Bottom