My first aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bugg

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got my first aquarium (besides my beta tank). It's 10 gallons, I have a whisper filter and gravel. I've had it filled and filtering for 3 days now. I want to do everything right so I don't kill any fish. How long should I wait before I test the water? What fish are the best to start with? (Freshwater) I'm new at this so I'm happy to accept any and all tips and advice. Thank you all in advance :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1438029243.133009.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1438029271.287909.jpg
No plants yet, and only 1 decoration, but I've just started.

Do a fish less cycle, get a master test kit also. Very useful and essential to the cycle. Also consider getting a better filter. I personally don't care for whisper filters, though others like them. If you were to upgrade, get a fluval aquaclear 20. Very good flow.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a whisper filter because that's what my grandma used when she was alive and it worked well for her. Just curious, what do you have against them? I'm new to this all so I'm always learning :)
I didn't realize there was so much to cycling, I thought you just left the tank sit fish less for a week and then you were ready for fish, but that's why I'm here, I wanna learn to do this properly instead of jumping in and killing a bunch of fish.

With whispers, they are designed to use their carriages only and you can't add extra biomedia, and usually tetra cartridges have Carbon which is not needed unless you are taking out chemicals from a tank

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
Can I still have a healthy tank using this filter? Or do I need biomedia?

Can I still have a healthy tank using this filter? Or do I need biomedia?

It's not essential but can certainly help.

Like Saek said a liquid test kit is Essential because it's accurate and can tell you what's happening in your water.

Caleb

I already have a test kit, I actually just made a post about it. I think my husband threw away the instructions and chart. What can I do?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1438104437.304571.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1438104463.371255.jpg

I *think* you can print off a new chart and API has the instructions on their website

Caleb

I will try that, thank you!

Any suggestions on which heater I should get? I'm just getting started so I would rather not spend a whole lot on one, but I still want one that's going to work properly.
Also, do I need a bubbler or are they just

I will try that, thank you!

Any suggestions on which heater I should get? I'm just getting started so I would rather not spend a whole lot on one, but I still want one that's going to work properly.
Also, do I need a bubbler or are they just

Bubble is just for decor and extra oxygenation.

I love my Eheim Jäger heaters

Caleb

So I can get fish without one and add it later and everything will be ok?

What watt for the eheim? I have a 10 gallon tank. (I don't know if that matters)

- Bug; Aquarium Newbie

So I can get fish without one and add it later and everything will be ok?

What watt for the eheim? I have a 10 gallon tank. (I don't know if that matters)

- Bug; Aquarium Newbie

I would wait until you get one otherwise they might be a little chilly. You are looking at a 50 watt heater.

General rule is 5 watts per gallon. 5 x 10 = 50 watt.

Caleb

I would wait until you get one otherwise they might be a little chilly. You are looking at a 50 watt heater.

General rule is 5 watts per gallon. 5 x 10 = 50 watt.

Caleb

I'm sorry, I think I worded that wrong. I am definitely getting a heater before I get fish.

I meant the bubbles, can I get fish without a bubbler? Is it bad for them?

- Bug; Aquarium Newbie

I'm sorry, I think I worded that wrong. I am definitely getting a heater before I get fish.

I meant the bubbles, can I get fish without a bubbler? Is it bad for them?

- Bug; Aquarium Newbie

Oh yes you can go without one. Bubbles are purely cosmetic. No use except in planted tanks (co2 dispersal), increase in oxygenation, and as decor.

You can have it if you want to but it's in no way required.

Caleb

The filter will move water and cause there to be oxygen in the water for the fish. A bubbler isn't necessary to keep them unless there isn't any water flow/oxygenation.

Welcome, to the community and check out the link in my signature if you need any additional info on keeping fish.

Here is a link for fish in cycling.
Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side - Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom