My First cichlids :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yeah, question aq1, what food do you feed? i forgot. oh and i found a 10g for $5 with filter, so ill have a qt tank to isolate the "plague" when i get new fish...

Got some bad news. My zebras are both fighting a lot. I bet their both males :( One is starting to turn on its side
Heres some pics:
3960429196_df82aa53b5.jpg
3959657543_43e81a744f.jpg

Can you describe the fighting? Are they liplocking? Or are they chasing head to tail? Chasing head to tail is more like courting. Liplocking is fighting.

May be male and female. If they are mouth brooders that is how the male fertilizes the eggs in the females mouth. Could be thats whats going on. Keep an eye on them. If they arent ripping fins and such, they should be ok.

One seems to avoid the other such as during eating. Does it just not like the other one much? Lol. If it happens again i'll try to video tape it so u can interpret it better. Maybe when I get more it'll go down some.

I dont know how much you know about the habits of the mouthbrooders but that is what the eggspots do. The male has them originally to look like eggs. The female tries to pick them off the male and the male "fertilizes" the eggs in the females mouth while she is there trying to do that. I am trying to put it nicely. This process usually ends up in them chasing each other around in circles. If they where fighting they would more likely be going face to face and ripping at each others fins .....etc.

Back
Top Bottom