my first cories :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ok, so i'm down to 2. they're staying in a corner, still breathing, but not doing much else... i honestly have no clue what i'm going to find tomorrow.

thanks :( i saw one swimming around after i turned off the lights... man i hope they either die or show me they're going to live... because i'm going to get my $ back tomorrow and need to know how much they're gonna owe me...

ugh. one is on it's way out. they seem to just lose control of themselves... they start swimming sporadically, trying to jump out of the water almost, then they just stop and float to the bottom gasping and sit there, usually on their backs until they lose control of their lungs. :( it's sad to watch, but it happens so fast i don't have time put together a way to put them out of their misery. the other one seems fully in control, but only time will tell with these guys.

What size tank are these in? Is there a lot of flow? Cories are labyrinth fish that require a 'gulp' of air every so often. If the tank is too tall or there is too much flow for them to make it to the top they can actually drown in the tank. I'm not sure if this is the case or not but I've seen it happen in a buddy's tank. Luckily we caught it and were able to save the rest of his.

Sorry to hear about your loss's if you can't chalk the losses up to anything, I would see if you can get your money back. I doubt they will, I never had luck with refunds on live fish.

they're in a ten gallon "QT" with 6 glo-lite tetras and a bolivian ram. it's basically a DT with fish i'm willing to risk while i watch the new guys. the filter is an AC30 on minimum flow. i bet i can get my money back. they have a 30 day gaurantee on live fish, and i have my receipt, so they'd better. ;) the last one "seems" ok. it's not moving much, but when it does it wriggles around like a happy cory should. i'll check before i leave and hope it either shows some dramatic signs of improvement, or deteriorates to a point where i can determine it's future. :( thanks for all the responses guys, i'm stumped on this one.

sorry to hear about your fish...I've had similar experiences with Julii's from Petco...seemed fine for the first week, then all died within 2 days. The school of Peppered Cory's I have now that replaced the Julii's have been doing fine for over a month, so maybe give another species a try.

yeah, i'm about tempted to try that, but i guess i have to try again if this little guy makes it. as of now he's looking absolutely terrified, and isn't moving a lot... but he has control when he does move and seems to be doing ok.

got my money back :) they insisted on testing my water first, (thankfully i had a sample in the car just in case) but of course they used strips:facepalm: oh well. everything checked out and i got my money back. they were out of the juliis, and said they were getting more in monday, so i'll probably go back tuesday and try again. :banghead: lets hope these guys are a little bit better.

Glad you had the sample water and that you got your money back. Nothing replaces the heartache of losing them, but at least the store did right by you.

Mine are in an 18 in. deep tank so it is not that. I've heard of people having corys do just fine in deeper tanks. I think there is an older thread here on it, or maybe it was on another forum from a Google search.

yeah, i honestly think it was just weak stock, but i still don't know. i sure hope these next guys do better... or i'm just gonna find a different place.

I would personally get my corys from somewhere else. I wouldn't go back when I'd lost so many it wa obviously a bad batch. Good luck cos I love my cory clan! :)

yeah, i think i'll give them one last shot for redemption, but if i lose these i'm not going back. also good news! did another water change and my little guy perked up a little! he's eating a sinking pellet and sifting around in the gravel like he should be. :) the bolivian ram also seems to have made friends lol. she guards the little guy and chases the glo-lites away. :) i'm still a bit doubtful it'll last, but i'm hoping i'm wrong. i'll update in the morning!

ok, little guy is still alive and kicking! i'm wondering if i might not try just buying one or two at a time to see how they do like that rather then all at once. what do y'all think?

I am a few days late to this thread, but I am sorry for your loss. :(
My experience with some chain stores is that roughly 50-75% of the fish I get from them tend to drop dead for no apparent reason within a month or so. Sometimes they only last a few days, sometimes more, but they are not usually healthy in the long run. So, since your params were good, I am guessing that was the case here. I have not had an different luck when purchasing just one fish, or purchasing a group. Its good that they refunded you though.

yeah. the little guy has deteriorated within the last time i've posted. he's like a time bomb just waiting to croak... therefore i've decided i'm not going to replace them. i'll try them again in the spring when i can ship them from some place more reliable. i usually am pretty lucky with chain store fish, but so far i've never had a good experience with cories from them. i'm disappointed, but at least for the time being i can concentrate on breeding my rams. :)

Back
Top Bottom