Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-30-2011, 03:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

my first cories :)

just picked up 5 false julii cories. (at least i think they're false... if not i got the deal of the century lol) i've heard loads of good things about them, and after tweaking my stocking plan a bit, i'm going to get them QT'd and into my 29 gallon tank. i'm so excited! they are such cute little fish. i have them acclimating now.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:33 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Congrats. One of the best decisions I ever made was to get my 3 julii corys. You will have hours of fun watching your false juliis. Corys are great!

Old 12-30-2011, 10:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

thanks! i got the only 5 left. they're set up in QT. a few are up wiggling around, but i think the move tired them out lol. they're eating like pigs! i'm just happy to get them out of petco... they not only had them in the most crowded tank i've ever seen, but they were keeping them in salt! they've got a bit of fin damage because of the overcrowding, but i think they'll heal up nicely. i hope the salt doesn't do any permanent damage to the little guys...
Old 12-31-2011, 01:39 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm sad to hear that the conditions weren't good for them at your Petco, and I'm glad you are giving them a good home. With good care those fins should heal quickly.

I've never used salt on my fish, but if I had to, I'd used a reduced dose for corys. I sure wouldn't use it routinely. I think they will be fine.

I got mine at Petco, too. My corys were in a tank with a total of 7 fish, and in great shape when I got them. I know things can vary from store to store and from time to time in any store.
Old 12-31-2011, 03:25 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

cories are scaless fish, so you really aren't supposed to use salt at all. this morning i woke up to watching one doing laps around the tank lol. i can definitely see why a ten gallon is too small. yeah, i'd never been to this petco before, and i wasn't overly impressed... but it was all i had, so i just went ahead and got them. they were in a 20 gallon tank that must have had 30 black skirts and red eye tetras... it was nuts! everyone's looking good this morning.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:17 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Congrats on your new fish! Cories are very cool!
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:08 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmolly View Post
cories are scaless fish, so you really aren't supposed to use salt at all. this morning i woke up to watching one doing laps around the tank lol. i can definitely see why a ten gallon is too small. yeah, i'd never been to this petco before, and i wasn't overly impressed... but it was all i had, so i just went ahead and got them. they were in a 20 gallon tank that must have had 30 black skirts and red eye tetras... it was nuts! everyone's looking good this morning.
I'm so glad your are looking corys are exploring their new home.

You really should not use salt prophylacticly on any freshwater fish IMHO.

I'm sad that your Petco isn't better. I'm pleased with my Petco fish department, but I know it varies.

Hey, keep us posted and when you get time, get pictures.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:38 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

"sigh," lost the littlest one today. no marks on the body no signs of illness, just found it lying peacefully on a leaf. i really hope it was just a freak thing... it died within a window of 5 hours if it helps, but i'm hoping that was just a weaker one. everyone else seems chipper and happy though.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:40 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Aw that's so sad! It's awesome that you got the cories! I love mine! I hope that they all end up ok for you!
Old 01-01-2012, 10:40 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm sorry for your loss. Sometimes we never know, especially when one of a group that is otherwise fine doesn't make it. I hope you don't have any more problems. I know you gave the little guy a good home and that he was loved.

Tags
cories

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com