my first cories :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blackmolly

Aquarium Advice Freak
just picked up 5 false julii cories. (at least i think they're false... if not i got the deal of the century lol) i've heard loads of good things about them, and after tweaking my stocking plan a bit, i'm going to get them QT'd and into my 29 gallon tank. :) i'm so excited! they are such cute little fish. i have them acclimating now.:dance:

Congrats. One of the best decisions I ever made was to get my 3 julii corys. You will have hours of fun watching your false juliis. Corys are great!

thanks! i got the only 5 left. they're set up in QT. :) a few are up wiggling around, but i think the move tired them out lol. they're eating like pigs! i'm just happy to get them out of petco... they not only had them in the most crowded tank i've ever seen, but they were keeping them in salt! they've got a bit of fin damage because of the overcrowding, but i think they'll heal up nicely. i hope the salt doesn't do any permanent damage to the little guys...

I'm sad to hear that the conditions weren't good for them at your Petco, and I'm glad you are giving them a good home. With good care those fins should heal quickly.

I've never used salt on my fish, but if I had to, I'd used a reduced dose for corys. I sure wouldn't use it routinely. I think they will be fine.

I got mine at Petco, too. My corys were in a tank with a total of 7 fish, and in great shape when I got them. I know things can vary from store to store and from time to time in any store.

cories are scaless fish, so you really aren't supposed to use salt at all. ;) this morning i woke up to watching one doing laps around the tank lol. i can definitely see why a ten gallon is too small. :) yeah, i'd never been to this petco before, and i wasn't overly impressed... but it was all i had, so i just went ahead and got them. they were in a 20 gallon tank that must have had 30 black skirts and red eye tetras... it was nuts! everyone's looking good this morning. :)

cories are scaless fish, so you really aren't supposed to use salt at all. ;) this morning i woke up to watching one doing laps around the tank lol. i can definitely see why a ten gallon is too small. :) yeah, i'd never been to this petco before, and i wasn't overly impressed... but it was all i had, so i just went ahead and got them. they were in a 20 gallon tank that must have had 30 black skirts and red eye tetras... it was nuts! everyone's looking good this morning. :)

I'm so glad your are looking corys are exploring their new home.

You really should not use salt prophylacticly on any freshwater fish IMHO.

I'm sad that your Petco isn't better. I'm pleased with my Petco fish department, but I know it varies.

Hey, keep us posted and when you get time, get pictures.:fish2:

"sigh," lost the littlest one today. no marks on the body no signs of illness, just found it lying peacefully on a leaf. :( i really hope it was just a freak thing... it died within a window of 5 hours if it helps, but i'm hoping that was just a weaker one. everyone else seems chipper and happy though. :)

Aw that's so sad! It's awesome that you got the cories! I love mine! I hope that they all end up ok for you!

I'm sorry for your loss. Sometimes we never know, especially when one of a group that is otherwise fine doesn't make it. I hope you don't have any more problems. I know you gave the little guy a good home and that he was loved.

thanks. :) now i'm just uber paranoid:hide:.... great. oh well, i'll update in the morning :)

ugh, woke up to another one stuck to the filter intake :( once again, no signs of illness, no marks on the body, all the other fish are acting fine. now i'm really scared...

i'm practically in tears now. i lost another one! the exact same way, died within 5 hrs, no marks on the body or signs of illness. :(

0, 0, 10, API kit. ph is 6.8. and i'm even more confused now... the one i though was dead perked up... it was dying when i posted that, and so i left it in peace, then walked back upstairs about an hour later, and it was perky and wiggling about again! it was the weirdest thing!

Oh my gosh. Those numbers are perfect! I hope that they all remain perky. That is a weird thing. I can tell you that a resting cory can be very still and you need to really look hard to see them breathing. But they usually don't rest sticking to the filter. They usually rest in the bottom or in my case in my "cory castle" (the castle that they have claimed as their playground and home that I can't get rid of now). Keep us posted. I'll keep you in my thoughts.

P.S. Though 10 for the 'trates is fine a pwc to get it even lower probably wouldn't hurt anything, especially if their fins are still healing.

ok, the one that had a miraculous recovery is really gone now... belly up not breathing, caught in the plants. same symptoms as the other two on the body. one is acting like he might be next, but i'll just have to wait and see. i'm gonna try and get petco to give me my money back.

Back
Top Bottom