My first non-betta tank with fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RachelG

Aquarium Advice Activist
It's ten gallons, has an Aquaclear 20 filter, a fluorescent tube light in the hood, black gravel, anubias and java fern on driftwood, hornwort floating at the top, and some anacharis weighted down in the back left corner. I got two young male platies today. One is a sunburst wag, the other is a red wag hi-fin. I got platies because my water conditions seem to be what is recommended for them. (slightly alkaline ph, a bit hard.)

The platies hid behind the driftwood for about ten minutes after I added them, but after that they began cruising around the tank, gobbling up any detritus worm or copepod they came across. They seem to be doing a bang-up job removing all the excess worms floating about, so I think I should hold off on feeding them for a few days. They seem pretty happy and active so far. :)

If all is well in a week or two, I will add one more male platy. In a month or two, I think I might get a few cherry shrimp. They would look neat on all the green plants and on the black gravel. If not cherry shrimp, then I might add a fourth platy or a zebra snail, but that will be it. I like how this tank is looking so far.

It was hard getting pictures of the fish. They don't stop moving!

Attachments

• DSCF8221.jpg
    DSCF8221.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 204
  • DSCF8226.jpg
    DSCF8226.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 137
  • DSCF8242.jpg
    DSCF8242.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 129
  • DSCF8248.jpg
    DSCF8248.jpg