My first ORA frag

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryshark

Aquarium Advice Addict
Here is one of 3 frags I picked up today. This one is a ORA Chips Acro. The other two are a Green Slimer (which I broke in half trying to shorten the plug, I glued the two pieces back together. I hope this works) and the 3rd one is a small frag of a sunset monti.

Attachments

• IMG_1573.jpg
    IMG_1573.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 101
Very nice. Those ORA plugs do suck. I guess it's OK to glue 2 pieces together. I never tried it. I would have just kept them seperate or glue both to a piece of rubble.

Where are pictures of the other two? Nice pick up by the way. Pictures never seem to do SPS colors justice.

Here is one of 3 frags I picked up today. This one is a ORA Chips Acro. The other two are a Green Slimer (which I broke in half trying to shorten the plug, I glued the two pieces back together. I hope this works) and the 3rd one is a small frag of a sunset monti.

Gluing them back together can work. It can also cause RTN. Keep an eye on the coral you glued. If you see it starting to die off take it out and cut a frag off the coral above the dead area (bleached white) and get rid of the bad part.

I actually don't mind the ORA plugs. The rubber plugs they are using now are better then the 1.5" long plugs they used to use. I find the rubber ones will stick in the rockwork and stay there better and if I don't like where the coral is I don't have to work hard to move it.

Awesome pickups btw. I love my chips beautiful coral!!

Pat8you- I still need to take pictures of the other two, I was discouraged of taking the picture of the green slimer when I broke it in half. You're right the sps does look better in person. The chips body is mostly green with som purple splashes in there too. And another thing you can't see in the picture is the way the long almost white hairy polyps, move quickly with the current.

Ziggy- So far no RTN and both sides top and bottom are looking good with full polyp extension. I'm not sure if that plug I had is the new rubber one or the old style. I am guessing old style because it is really long. Can you tell by that picture? How is the growth on your chips compared to other sps?

Anybody- how do you multi quote different people?

Pat8you- I still need to take pictures of the other two, I was discouraged of taking the picture of the green slimer when I broke it in half. You're right the sps does look better in person. The chips body is mostly green with som purple splashes in there too. And another thing you can't see in the picture is the way the long almost white hairy polyps, move quickly with the current.

Ziggy- So far no RTN and both sides top and bottom are looking good with full polyp extension. I'm not sure if that plug I had is the new rubber one or the old style. I am guessing old style because it is really long. Can you tell by that picture? How is the growth on your chips compared to other sps?

Anybody- how do you multi quote different people?

My chips was picked up right before my 1st tank disaster, it went through that and then the second disaster so it hasn't been in the best of conditions since I got it. It is showing signs of growth but it is slow compared to what it would be had my tanks not cracked. I haven't had it long enough to really say what kind of growth rate I will get from it. My understanding is it is a pretty quick grower.

The old style plug they had was a very hard composite material. The new ones are the black rubber type plug. From the pic it looks like your chips is on the new style plug.

Where are pictures of the other two? Nice pick up by the way. Pictures never seem to do SPS colors justice.

Here are the pictures of the other 2. One is the green slimer that I accidently broke in half and glued together and the other was sold to me as a sunset monti that lost a little color after fragging and "should color back up again." But the more I look at it the more I think they just fragged an ORA supernatural cap and called it a sunset monti. The third coral is one that I picked up yesterday. My LFS just got a big piece of it in a few days ago and I am hoping it will color up some too. The reason I bought it was becaues of the purple polyps, so I think it has some good potential. I believe it is some sort of encrusting monti.

Attachments

• IMG_1611.jpg
    IMG_1611.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1607.jpg
    IMG_1607.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_1606.jpg
    IMG_1606.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 53
Very nice.

Just an FYI on the slimmer, give it lots of room as it is a fast growing coral.

That could be sunset but until it colors back up it's hard to tell.

Very nice pics. I really like the purple polyps you will have to keep us posted how that turns out for you.

Back
Top Bottom