My first try at african cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MbunaMike

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello..I have owned almost every type of south american cichlid there is...but never Africans...I now have about 18 mbuna in my 150gl tank..I have done a lil research about there diet but I cant get then to eat vegetables..I have tried broccoli and lettuce.....any other suggestions? And how can I tell male from female? Also as far as sand or small gravel which is better? Thanks!!

Males are usually brighter than females, some are more obvious than others.. Some cant be told and need venting... 1:3 male to female ratio is usually the best way to keep them, slightly overstocked too.. I think you could fit about 24 in there, With extra filtration.. Make sure they are around the same temperament, a poor peacock wouldn't last long with a male adult auratus..

Womble1234 said:
Males are usually brighter than females, some are more obvious than others.. Some cant be told and need venting... 1:3 male to female ratio is usually the best way to keep them, slightly overstocked too.. I think you could fit about 24 in there, With extra filtration.. Make sure they are around the same temperament, a poor peacock wouldn't last long with a male adult auratus..

+1 yup venting way to go maybe try feeding peas though!

Womble1234 said:
+ are yours tanganikan or mbuna? Try not to mix those.

They are all mbuna...I made sure of that when I ordered them....I'll post a few pics a lil later

Womble1234 said:

Thanks for your info....but 24...I was thinking more like 30 to 40

MbunaMike said:
Thanks for your info....but 24...I was thinking more like 30 to 40

IMO it just depends on the fish that you put in it like labs grow smaller than bumblebee cichlid.

Fishie said:
IMO it just depends on the fish that you put in it like labs grow smaller than bumblebee cichlid.

I'm not to familiar with the names of the fish yet...guess I'll have to do more research...but I do know I have 3 yellow labs...I want the bumblebee but my LFS doesn't seem to carry them

MbunaMike said:
I'm not to familiar with the names of the fish yet...guess I'll have to do more research...but I do know I have 3 yellow labs...I want the bumblebee but my LFS doesn't seem to carry them

Oh ok but I think you could at least fit 20 for overstocking purposes.

Is this a 150 gallon? I would think he could fit more than that... I have a lot in my 55g... Guess that's just my opinion tho.

I have quite a few in my 55. As long as there is adequate filtration I don't think his initial number was far off at all.

Last edited:
AndrewsPistol said:
Is this a 150 gallon? I would think he could fit more than that... I have a lot in my 55g... Guess that's just my opinion tho.

Yes it's 150g....the guy at my LFS said I could go up to 50 or 60 with the right filtration

MbunaMike said:
Yes it's 150g....the guy at my LFS said I could go up to 50 or 60 with the right filtration

Yeah only thing I would worry about is filtration making sure there is enough in the tank my 55G is pretty stocked too!

Fishie said:
Yeah only thing I would worry about is filtration making sure there is enough in the tank my 55G is pretty stocked too!

My canister filter is rated for a 250g tank and I have a maxi jet 1200 rated 295gph....also a AQueon 55 running so I should be pretty good...I'm just stuck on wether or not I should go with small gravel or sand....the sand looks great but the guy at the LFS told me it would ruin my filters

MbunaMike said:
My canister filter is rated for a 250g tank and I have a maxi jet 1200 rated 295gph....also a AQueon 55 running so I should be pretty good...I'm just stuck on wether or not I should go with small gravel or sand....the sand looks great but the guy at the LFS told me it would ruin my filters

I have sand, my fish make sandstorms daily and it settles before it even reaches the intake. I would shoot for pool filter sand or blasting sand, it settles faster. They love to dig in the sand and its cool to watch.

Thanks...I definitely want to go with sand....I just don't want to ruin my filters

You can always put some pantyhose over the intake, I did that at first becuase I was nervous! But my filters were lagging with it on, eventually I noticed that sand doesnt even get close to it. Pfs is much heavier. I used sand called Handy Sand, it was 4 bucks for 50 pounds, cant beat that price!
It is real white tho, almost wish I would have went with black.

Back
Top Bottom