My Fluval Roma 200

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jondamon

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey everyone.

I thought I would add a thread here about my new tank.

I consider myself a newbie although there has been a 35litre tank in my home for over 3 years.

I recently took over the 35litre along with 7 Danios and 2 loaches.

Quickly I found the 35 litre wasn't big enough for what I wanted to achieve.

So I currently have a Fluval Roma 200 going through a fishless cycling using ammonia. The tank is planted and I have a pressurised Co2 system in use.

I'm using a Fluval 206 canister filter which has 2 of its 3 cartridge bays filled with matured Siporax as seeding material.

I filled the tank last weekend so I'm not even a week into my cycling process.

Babbled for far too long, so thanks for reading here's some pics.

View attachment 85522

View attachment 85523

View attachment 85524

View attachment 85525

View attachment 85526

View attachment 85527

View attachment 85528

View attachment 85529

View attachment 85530

Jon

Excited to see what you do with the tank! Keep us posted. :)

Khalix said:
Excited to see what you do with the tank! Keep us posted. :)

I'm excited to. I'm going looking for some decoration over the next week or so. Rocks or slate etc maybe some driftwood.

I want to create a couple of hiding spots within the tank.

I'm also re-evaluating whether the Danios are going to move over to the large tank.

I may leave the 35litre running in my living room. If I do leave them, I may take one of my loaches out for the big tank. Then stock the tank with all new fish.

I'm really undecided on stock.

My wife wants a silver shark aka Bala shark but I dont think I have enough room.

Have been contemplating a Flying Fox.

A Pleco of some form.

Some Shrimp

I'm just not sure what else. Lol.

Jon

Hi All

I thought I would add some new pics of my testing.

First pic is a test I took 2 days ago.

View attachment 85877

As you can see levels are still
3ppm ammonia
0ppm nitrite
5ppm nitrate

Next pic is from today which is day 6 of cycling my tank using ammonia.

View attachment 85878

As you can see Nitrites are now beginning to show up in my tank along with higher nitrates.

Yippee cycling has truly started. I can't believe that I have some changing values today. Lol

Jon

Day 9 of my fishless cycle using laboratory ammonia.

I have been allowing my ammonia levels over the last 3 days to drop to 1ppm before dosing them back up to 4ppm.

My levels 3days ago

View attachment 86440

Today's pH

View attachment 86443

As you can see ammonia is up at 4ppm

View attachment 86439

Now comes the Nitrites

View attachment 86441

And finally the Nitrates

View attachment 86442

Finally a tank shot.

View attachment 86444

Now I am just waiting for the Nitrates to sky rocket and then I will perform a 60% PWC to bring levels back down.

If I don't get any increase in Nitrates by Saturday I will do a PWC incase the cycle has stalled.

Thanks for checking in with my new tank.

Jon

Hi looking very nice and loads of photo's:) keep us posted on your progress please(y) Also what your plans for stocking?

stingrays4 said:
What your plans for stocking?

that is the big question.

So far my stock list will be
7 danios
2 loaches
Transferred from the 35litre tank
Then new would be
Flying fox

Other than this I am not sure what else yet. However the flying fox will be the final addition to the tank otherwise it might claim the entire tank as territory.

So I'm open to suggestions on other stock options.

The tank will be running around 24C and 7.2pH once my cycle is complete. So recommendations based on this.

Jon

I thought the fluval 206 was only rated for 40 gallons? That's what I have in my 55 gallon tank, along with an aquaclear 50

It's rated for 45 US gallons or 200L.

Well so it says on the box anyway.

But I also don't plan on stocking heavily either.

Jon

Well 200 liters is more like 50 us gallons and fluvals are known for having slightly lower flow than they say. I would stick an aquaclear on there too

I've got a fluval U2 internal filter which will probably go across from the 35litre but as long as all my water tests are stable and fish seem happy once established then I'll be happy.

Jon

Update on testing

So as you can see, yesterday I had 4 ppm of ammonia lots of nitrites and a little nitrates

Today I have 1 ppm of ammonia more nitrites and slightly more nitrates.

Thanks for stopping by.

View attachment 86588

Jon

So here are today's test results.

I added ammonia yesterday up to 4ppm and today the ammo is right down with high nitrites and still no real change in nitrates.

View attachment 86771

Jon

Hey everyone.

I am currently having to add ammonia into my tank twice within 24hours.

It is taking a lot less time now to convert Ammonia into Nitrites.

But I'm not really getting a Nitrite - Nitrate conversion happening yet.

I'm leaving my tank as it is until Saturday and if I have no change in Nitrate levels I will perform a 50% PWC to lower Nitrites and re-buffer the water.

Any advice from those who have completed a fishless cycle?

Do you think this is the right plan of action? I will have waited a week for the nitrite - nitrate conversion to start but am concerned at my excessively high Nitrites might stall my cycle.

What do you think?

Jon

What are your nitrite levels? If they are off the scale, you should do a water change to bring them back to a readable level. If this is happening, it could be stalling the cycle

paytertot said:
What are your nitrite levels? If they are off the scale, you should do a water change to bring them back to a readable level. If this is happening, it could be stalling the cycle

Levels are off the scale and have been for several days.

50% PWC on the cards for me in a few hours.

Thanks for the help.

Jon

Have performed a 50% PWC levels are still 5ppm nitrite.

I will perform a second 50% PWC tomorrow.

If levels are still at 5ppm I will perform a consecutive 50% PWC straight after the first one tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Jon

Back
Top Bottom