Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-29-2012, 03:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

My male mollies are trying to mate with my oscar fish? Surely this is not normal?

My male mollies are trying to mate with my oscar fish? Surely this is not normal?

Old 01-29-2012, 03:51 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow I have never heard of this ! This is pretty weird! Your not suppose to cross breed or whatever it is called but I wonder if the Oscar will be preggers ^_^

30G- S. and C. America tank
Fishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:55 PM   #3
come get me tang police!

Oscars are egg layers and Mollies are livebearers. Male livebearers tend to go after anything moving in the tank when they are 'in the mood', so it's not that unusual for them to try. However, once the oscar gets some size on it he could just make a quick snack out of them and be done with it.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:55 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Iv had some real strang goings on in my tank. I had 2 male mollies and one female molly. I new the sex for sure was correct. I now have 3 male Molly's. My female has turned male.??? I'm so confused. And now Iv just brought my Oscar. The Molly that used to be female and the biggest original male Molly. Are just constantly trying to mate with the Oscar?? Help plz
Old 01-29-2012, 06:05 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oscars and mollies are a bad mix. each should have their own tank. As already said the problem will resolve itself in a short time, once the Oscar grows a little
Old 01-29-2012, 06:27 PM   #6
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Like people already said, a lot of livebearer males will try to mate with anything, so you aren't likely going to be able to stop it until the oscar eats the mollies someday (if they all stay in the same tank together once the oscar grows).

There is some evidence of livebearing fish perhaps being able to switch genders. I have not been able to find much hard evidence about it, but it is certainly not uncommon to hear about, especially females who turn into males.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:29 PM   #7
come get me tang police!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1987notts
Iv had some real strang goings on in my tank. I had 2 male mollies and one female molly. I new the sex for sure was correct. I now have 3 male Molly's. My female has turned male.??? I'm so confused. And now Iv just brought my Oscar. The Molly that used to be female and the biggest original male Molly. Are just constantly trying to mate wtith the Oscar?? Help plz
The most likely thing is that it was a late bloomer, since they all look like females when young.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:33 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Please stop posting the same question over and over. Your not going to get another answer.

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
male, mate, mollies, oscar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com