My New Acro

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sir Ottis

Aquarium Advice Regular
I went to the LFS yesterday because they get their new shipments in every Tuesday. Their loads of new stock and lack of tank space landed me this Acro for a whopping $30 :D

It is about 6" in diameter.

img_889123_0_370536e68c44836dfb68498439729296.jpg

I haven't seen the polyps out yet. Kinda been busy. It is snow white in color. Sorry, I have a cheap camera to take pics with. It doesn't show how bright the colors actually are.

I know that there are nice white acros that do exist. But snow white and no polyps, can = dead. Thats probably not your case, but just keep an eye out for poyp extension just in case.

Maybe snow white is not accurate. The stags are light peach at the base, the stages are a white-off white and many of the highest tips have a sky blue tint. I haven't had alot of time with this one but will keep an eye out for the polyps.

Thanks for the heads up.

btw - do the acro's polyps tend to come out during the day or night?

Very nice and awesome price.
What kind of lights do you have? I hope it doesn't brown out on you. It can be tuff to have them keep their color.

You should get some polyp extension during the day, but as with most other acros, ther best pe is at night.

I spoke to the lfs today to advise them they might have sold me a DOA. They showed me another one they have in their reef display tank and it looks the same. He said the polyps should come out in the next few days....if not, bring it back. I have noticed a small polyp extension at the base. At the top ones it looks like sweepers sticking out.

I am currently running a Current Sundial T5 48" x 4x54w. I am going back and forth about Halides and whether to buy a combo fixture or build a new hood with retro T5's and Halides. I will be doing this in the next few months. I really don't want to have to buy a chiller right now so I am looking into ways around that.

I really don't want to have to buy a chiller right now so I am looking into ways around that.
This is such a common misconception. 150w of MH lighting gives off the same amount of heat as 150w of T5 or a 150w light bulb or a 150w hair dryer or a 150w fan. A watt is a watt and always gives off the same amount of heat. The difference is in how the heat is dispersed. I run 525w of MH with no chiller and my tank temp is steady at 80-81.

Back
Top Bottom