My newest Scarlet Badis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coursair

Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought this boy at my last SFBAAPS Meet at Neptune Aquatics in Milpitas CA. I spent at least 20 or 30 minutes just staring at the Scarlet Badis ( Dario dario ) and couldn't keep my eyes off this one fish. Super bright and very male !
image-1155741186.jpg
image-3911994298.jpg

He does chase my other SB on occasion, but no damage. I'm feeding live brine, frozen baby brine shrimp, crushed flake and pellets and whatever random micro bugs inhabit my heavily planted 10g.

He is not shy and these are great fish for the right tanks. But will starve in the wrong environments.

absolutangel04 said:
Tina, he looks awesome! Excellent find! Do you have any women for him, or is its a bachelor pad?

I have a possible female in the tank. Was purchased as a female. Colored up a bit, thought was a juv male, but now comparing the two I may have a pair. I may move them to my 5.5g or set up a 3g for them if needed. Right now I'm trying different foods. He is a looker :)

That is one good looking fish! I hope that the other fish is a female:). If it turns out to be please post a picture, I don't think that I've seen a female scarlet badis. Good luck to you and this fish; it was a good find:D

AquaKai said:
That is one good looking fish! I hope that the other fish is a female:). If it turns out to be please post a picture, I don't think that I've seen a female scarlet badis. Good luck to you and this fish; it was a good find:D

Oh they carry SB all the time. So do 2 other stores. I'm in fishy heaven LOL. I live within an hour of Aqua Forest, Albany Aquarium and Neptunes my 3 favorite stores. Plus I have a Club member that has had 2 SB fry show up in his tank.

Kribensis_2004 said:
sorry but i have a question how big of aquariums do scarlet badis need

They can be in 5g. Tiny fish. But like heavily planted and may chase each other a bit.

They are tricky to keep fed sometimes. They are slow deliberate eaters. Won't compete with pushy fish.

Absolutely fabulous!!

I think badis are beautiful creatures!! I love your shrimp- hopefully they won't hurt him. Good luck!! following along to check out pics!! :thanks: :popcorn:

I meant the Badis hurting the shrimp- they do get a little nippy from what I've seen and your shrimp is gorgeous!! I love crustaceans, fresh and salt, because they are always goofing off.. Do your scarlets like to show off for the camera?

I meant the Badis hurting the shrimp- they do get a little nippy from what I've seen and your shrimp is gorgeous!! I love crustaceans, fresh and salt, because they are always goofing off.. Do your scarlets like to show off for the camera?

The adult Shrimp are safe. Shrimplets may be on the menu. I've never seen them hurt a Shrimp. But they stalk their micro food :)

And No, they are quite shy. My male isn't bothered by my iPhone now , but the female takes patience. Any sudden movement can send them away.

What kinds of fish can you keep with these guys?

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Nice find. A female might entice even better color! Mine would hide 90% time, with 5 Chilis Boraras Brigittae and RCS shrimp in the 6.6G. They ate pretty much all shrimplets in my tank.

Do you have fish in too? What kind(s)?

Back
Top Bottom