My Pea Puffer and his new 5g abode.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chris J

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I bought a couple of figure 8 puffers the other day and the was a pea puffer in the tank with them. He was not looking so good so I asked how much he was and the guy said $2 but he would be dead before the day was out. I bought him anyway. I placed him in a breeder net in my cichlid tank to see how he would do and try and get him to eat. I then noticed that one eye was terribly maimed and falling out. I became confident that he was not going to make it but I still had to try my best for him. After a couple days I noticed him take a couple pieces of the mysis shrimp I was offering him, so I decided it was time for a more permanent tank for him but I didn't know what tank to use, but then it came to me, the 5 gal tank I use for breeding snails would be perfect and give him a nearly endless supply of food. So I added sand and decor and a lid and LED light bar and a heater and kept the cycled filter that was already on there. And now he is as happy as can be and has been hunting only the tiniest snails all night.

His tank.
image-3932547005.jpg

And Matteas
image-941342844.jpg
image-731021893.jpg
image-1493249904.jpg
image-3654990302.jpg

super coooool!!!

i like the name mateus! why is he named that may i inquire?

Matteas! very cool name, and cute! my hubby has a pea puffer too, huge personality and beautiful eyes that really watch you

crud double post lol

Just a random choice of name that fit him. His one eye is all black and appears to be disintegrating away but over all it doesn't seem to bother him. He is now Matteas the Pirate Pea Puffer.

Oh okay I thought it sounded Brazilian like Joao :D it's nice, I'm picky with names I can never choose! Most of my pets get adopted with monikers I can't change phew

No worries about the eye, I'm sure he sees great out of just one because mine moves each eye independently like a chameleon

Oh!! I just saw a few episodes of a cool show you need to see re: eyes on Netflix.... Animated series called "Mushi-shi", 4th episode about the swamp-- you will see the "black" eye a whole new way

If possible treat for the symptoms. Watch carefully for a skinny puffer - indicating internal parasites. Good luck.

If possible treat for the symptoms. Watch carefully for a skinny puffer - indicating internal parasites. Good luck.

Thanks Terrance, he is a bit thin but has put on some girth over the past couple days of munching baby snails, but I'll still be watching him like a hawk. He was on his last wobbly legs at the LFS and I don't think we are quite out of the woods yet but eating is a step in the right direction. His eye appears to be in the process of healing, not signs of fungus or anything other than a dark hole where his eye used to be. His eye was hanging out when I got him and has since fallen out/disintegrated.

Back
Top Bottom