Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-31-2014, 11:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Post Need advice on new freshwater tropical tank cycle.

I started a 135 L freshwater aquarium one week ago and it still in cycling stage (fishless cycle).

The question is should I using bacteria in a bottle/supplement like NUTRAFIN CYCLE AQUARIUM SUPPLEMENT, ATM Colony Professional Grade Nitrifying Bacteria Freshwater Aquarium Supplement or API Quick Start Water Conditioner for Aquariums to cycle the tank to build the Bio filter or

I should go old the way using aquarium ammonia to start the cycle until it completed.

could I have some professions advise please.

Old 09-01-2014, 12:19 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Those aren't exclusive things.

If you want to do a fishless cycle you should use the ammonia.

If you want your cycle to happen faster you should use one of the other products in addition to the ammonia.

My experience is that bacteria in a bottle rarely instantly cycles your tank. It can, depending on the product, make the cycling process much shorter.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:17 AM   #3

Thanks for your reply, my tank already starts more than a week, and I am continually adding Nutrafin Cycle daily 35 ml. I purchased 50ml purl aquarium ammonia online it will arrive on Wednesday this week, I will start add it to my tank (it that to late or it is still ok).

Could please give some suggesting you how much I should add it to my tank, how to add it, one for all or every day add a bit . As you suggest I can add other bottled bacteria – which are you recommend API Quick Start or Colony Freshwater Nitrifying Bacteria or any others.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:50 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

You should stop adding the bottled bacteria until you get the ammonia.

The simplest way to look at it is that the ammonia is the "food" for the bacteria so adding the bacteria before the food will not do much to benefit you.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:25 AM   #5

02/09/2014 - finally got ammonia, added the 50 ml into the fishtank on the day.

03/09/2014 - bought a driftwood with 2 plants attached and put into the tank, test the ammonia it is look very high, the reading is 8.0+ppm. should I wait for few more days to see if its drop, or should I change water imminently. Also bought a bottle of COLONY Freshwater Nitrifying Bacteria, should I start add it to my fish tank? - please advice.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:48 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman1973 View Post
02/09/2014 - finally got ammonia, added the 50 ml into the fishtank on the day.

03/09/2014 - bought a driftwood with 2 plants attached and put into the tank, test the ammonia it is look very high, the reading is 8.0+ppm. should I wait for few more days to see if its drop, or should I change water imminently. Also bought a bottle of COLONY Freshwater Nitrifying Bacteria, should I start add it to my fish tank? - please advice.
if there are no fish in there then there is no reason to do any water changes.
If you do a water change, you are just delaying the cycle.
I say just let it ride and cycle for the next 3 weeks, adding a bit of ammonia here and there to keep it going. You don't need to worry about it too much until you start to add livestock. Then after it is fully cycled, change about 80% of the water, let it run for a day or so and start picking out livestock.
The higher the initial ammonia levels, the more robust the bacteria colony will be.
just let it roll.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:00 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would try to keep the ammonia in the 2-5ppm range.

There is a point where too much Ammonia can inhibit the bacteria growth. Unfortunately, good research data doesn't exist to show exactly where this point it. Anecdotally, some people believe this is at 8ppm. I am not sure exactly how much is too much but there is no real value in having ammonia that high so I would recommend keeping it in the range of 2-5ppm. I would do a water change to get your self down to that level.

After the water change I would start adding the COLONY
Old 09-04-2014, 10:17 AM   #8

should I consider to starting add some ammonia remover into the water to lower the ammonia from 8.0ppm to 4-5ppm.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:24 AM   #9

Aquarium UV Filter Sterilizer & Phos-Zorb Filter Media

Hi everyone, i know there has 2 ways to have crystal clear water, one is using Aquarium UV Filter Sterilizer other ways is have Phos-Zorb Filter Media inserted into filter.
Aquarium UV Filter Sterilizer price b/w $60 to $200 depend on the brand. Phos-Zorb Filter Media will cost $30 per bag need replace every 2-3 months. from my knowledges UV Filter Sterilizer will kills some of both good and bad bacteria.
please can I have some recommendation.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:23 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
should I consider to starting add some ammonia remover into the water to lower the ammonia from 8.0ppm to 4-5ppm.
No, just do a water change. The ammonia is in the water.

Quote:
Hi everyone, i know there has 2 ways to have crystal clear water, one is using Aquarium UV Filter Sterilizer other ways is have Phos-Zorb Filter Media inserted into filter.
Aquarium UV Filter Sterilizer price b/w $60 to $200 depend on the brand. Phos-Zorb Filter Media will cost $30 per bag need replace every 2-3 months. from my knowledges UV Filter Sterilizer will kills some of both good and bad bacteria.
please can I have some recommendation.
You shouldn't really need to do either of those things. A UV sterilizer should only be needed in specialized circumstances and Phos-zorb I believe absorbs phosphates.

Tags
advice, cycle, pic, tan, tank, tropical, freshwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com