need advice please :-)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

herbzIOW

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is there any home university or home learning courses in the uk that would lead to me getting a job in an aquatics shop?

I want to open my own shop eventually so I would benifit from it

Because I already have a good buisness head. Its more about the fish

I agree with that. That's why I'm running 5 tanks (and 2 to set up if the other half would allow it), all different set ups so I can learn a lot from experience :)

I'm also going to start collecting 'reputable' up to date books frow well known aquarists

I would recommend getting a job at a lfs, and getting a business degree. The two are completely different.

Learning all you can about fish will not mean you know how to properly run a small business. Business "sense" is one thing, but there is a lot that comes with running a successful business that you will not understand just by having a good business sense.

Conversely, short of veterinary school (which won't prep you as a business owner) you need to get some experience in aquatic life. I doubt that keeping 5 tanks of fish that you like will prep you in everything required to operate a lfs either.

I defintely think a combination of the two is the only way to go. You can work at the lfs to pay your way through school.

No lfs ever hires over here. I have already done a small course on starting your own buisness and they have give me a few websites that do various recognised qualifications as well as a heap of other help. I also created a forum for people in our local area which I am learning a lot from daily as well as other research. Plus most of the lfs in my area dont have a brilliant rep for advice or knowledge. Like for instance, 1 was selling a super red bristlenose as an albino, they should at least know that albinos have red eyes

Back
Top Bottom