need help with tank swap asap!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gilley

Aquarium Advice Activist
so tomorrow im going to swap my tank from the 55 down to a 29.. will i be ok as log as i use most of te water to fill the 29 from the 55? it will be a new filter???

If you have fish in the 55gal tank its best to use 80 percent of the 55gal if not all if it is very clean, nd make sure its the same temp. as well

Yea i was going to inform u to try and custom fit ur sponge, but it all depends on type of filters as well, there really isnt anythin u can do if u cant use my solution, jus make sure ur water is the same as it was in the 55gal so its less stressful to the fish. It only takes about a week or two to build bacteria again

Yes the fish are in the 55 and are going in the 29 tomorrow or maybe a 10. It's jus 4 platies what would you guys do? I won't be putting in any other fish

Ok my best idea is to set up your tank wichever one u choose, let it cycle a week a two, use water conditioner ect. Take old sponge from 55gal nd let it drip into the new tank, i would do it everyday if anythin, remember not to squeeze it jus let it naturally drip into tank, also be taking water from 55gal as well to best comfort ur fish

Boomer23 said:
Ok my best idea is to set up your tank wichever one u choose, let it cycle a week a two, use water conditioner ect. Take old sponge from 55gal nd let it drip into the new tank, i would do it everyday if anythin, remember not to squeeze it jus let it naturally drip into tank, also be taking water from 55gal as well to best comfort ur fish

I'm sorry but that's going to do nothing. The op can move media from the old to the new tank but unless there is an ammonia source (from fish or bottled ammonia) its not going to cycle. If left long enough the bacteria will simply die. Moving water will keep parameters the same but that's it. Old water will not help cycle a tank.

Oh man, id say then use all water in 55gal nd everythin u can as well, rocks, decor, plants ect. Still use old sponge nd drip into new tank, nd hope for the best, its rough in that short of time

Mumma.of.two said:
I'm sorry but that's going to do nothing. The op can move media from the old to the new tank but unless there is an ammonia source (from fish or bottled ammonia) its not going to cycle. If left long enough the bacteria will simply die. Moving water will keep parameters the same but that's it. Old water will not help cycle a tank.

Ive done it several times, ive had tanks ready to go in two weeks no problem, moved fish with no deaths nd water was perfect

Mumma.of.two said:
Cut the media up and put in in the new filter or run the old filter next to the new one for at least 2 weeks if not longer.

Do you think the 4 fish will be ok in a 10 gallon?

Back
Top Bottom