New 125 Gallon fish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

King_Corral

Aquarium Advice Regular
Got a new 125 long can someone help me out with heaters, filter I'm thinking a canister some help with custom background and maybe placement of the filter/filters and heater/heaters.
Websites with great buys will be good as well probably looking for black sand or maybe just sand and stocking will be cichlids

Thank you sir! Anyone got some info on the fluval fx5? I hear it's got some heavy flow how do I make that ok for my fish? Aim it at like the corner of the tank? I'm really not even sure what one really looks like ha..

Canisters are a great filter, but with a 125 you can go with two Emperor 400 HOB filters and have plenty of filtration. You'd also be paying $140 for two filters which is more than likely a good bit cheaper than the canister you're looking at. You could also get a little bit smaller rated canister filter and one HOB filter.

Yeah but with te two hobs won't I be paying more down the line with filters and longevity?

May i suggest a canister. I LOVE them, i mean for a large tank you can put a HOB but a canister is so much easier. I keep a canister and a HOB on my 75g.

What's a good canister for the 125? The fluval says rated for 400gal I'm not trying to suck in fish or tidal wave them but I also want to keep it clean with less money spent and less clean time.

A good way is to double the rating on the filter. For example, you have a 20g tank then get a 40 BUT with a canister i would probably shoot for 1 rated for a 150 or 175.

Thanks I'm gonna call around some pet stores around the area.

You can, if you like, support your local pet store but I have gotten to the point I only buy my fish and emergency supplies from the.

www.thatpetplace.com and www.petsolutions.com both have really good pricing and low cost or even free shipping from time to time.

I have also picked up a new FX5 for $230 shipped off of ebay. You can save a lot of $$$ by going with these types of suppliers.

I have a 125 gallon with 2 Rena XP3 filters on it. Water is crystal clear since I added the second canister. If you are looking just to run one filter. I would think the FX5 is a great choice. I have not used it personally but have heard wonderful things and it would definitely turn over enough on your tank. Just use caution as it is a huge filter so space concerns might be a problem.

Thuffman what size tank I think I can find a decent priced fluval fx5 near 200$ish but really am more concerned about my fish and it's power I don't know to much on how a canister works but I think it's just like a vacuum and blower.

But how about the sand and a canister how do I keep from sucking up the sand? Sorry my idea of a canister might be *** backwards.

It is no problem, havent had 1 issue with it unlike my HOB filters. Dosent create that much current, especially in a 125.

One last question I've got an empty tank with filter and heaters on the way! But my tank has a little dust at the bottom how should I get it clean and prep for water I thought micro fiber cloth?

You can do the micro fiber cloth. I take all my tanks outside and hose them out first. If you clean it out the best you can and there is still some dust, just let your filter run a day with it full. Should clean all the dust.

Thank you sir. Should have the fluval probably tomorrow but u forgot I'll probably need filter pads I got foam blockers but I think I'll need the chips:( gonna call around about play sand or sandblasting sand tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom