Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-13-2010, 10:42 AM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

I've seen some decent plants in the tanks at petsmart. I was there the day the got a shipment in and I was tempted to pick up some more Red Ludwigia. I would stay away from anything in those tubes with the gel in the bottom. Some are not true aquatic plants, like you found out, and the others are grown with the leaves above the water which will take some time for the plant to adapt to growing submersed.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:57 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

The Petsmart by me carries anacharis and the tube plants, but only a few tube plants are actually aquatic. Petco actually has a decent selection, but you have to be careful to make sure you only get aquatic plants. I bought an assorted bunch from them when I'd just started with plants and I think the only truly aquatic plant I got was some pennywort.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:31 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

So how about these plants? I got the two small ones and the little coconut shell with moss growing on it at petco. All three were in tanks already [nothing out of a tube!] I'm not sure what the little green ones are can anyone ID them? Thanks.

I have experience with many freshwater aquariums of all sizes. I'm currently limited by my dorm room...
removedastars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:31 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Pictures aren't showing up for me.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:55 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have experience with many freshwater aquariums of all sizes. I'm currently limited by my dorm room...
removedastars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 04:09 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

The plant on the right of the first pic will be fine in the tank. I got the same one, in the gel, at PetSmart in August, and it's my best looking plant in the tank! My BGK used to use it as his Lay-Z-Boy LOL.
I also got some really nice fully aquatic plants at Petco. They were green on top and purple on the bottom. (Sadly I had to take them out because I had to dose salt, and they died).
Old 04-15-2010, 09:48 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your plants look good to me. I think the one in the middle is some kind of anubias. The one on the right, I don't know, but it looks aquatic to me.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:02 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Don't feel too bad, because my betta setup is practically identical and I made the same mistakes, and I work at petsmart (not petcare so I think I'm allowed a bit of slack, yes?). I'm not sure how the weather is there, but if the heater is one of those little black pad things, I know mine sure didn't make much difference and I took it back for a hydor theo. I even got those same plants, and I was so (am still so) bugged at those jerks at Top Fin. Now I have four "Golden Ribbons" sitting in little flower pots seeing how they do. Plants in and out. Ahh. Haha
Old 04-15-2010, 09:03 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

If you do have to rely on Petsmart for any more plants, either make sure to google the scientific name they list, and make sure the label just says aquarium and not terrarium and aquarium.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:31 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
If you do have to rely on Petsmart for any more plants,
just have to order online like in the classified section and not have to worry about it.

Tags
set-up

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com