New 5 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

teddybear

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently purchased a 5 gallon fish tank, I have it up and filtering with a rock and plant and such inside. I was just wondering what kind of fish I should have?

I like guppies, and the neon tetras, but I don't know what else aside from Betas I can have. Any suggestions?

You can do a shrimp tank. No neon tetras they need ten gallons. You could do 2-3 guppies also. You might be able to have some ember tetras but I don't know much about them so someone would need to confirm it. You could do ADFs too.

You can do a shrimp tank. No neon tetras they need ten gallons. You could do 2-3 guppies also. You might be able to have some ember tetras but I don't know much about them so someone would need to confirm it. You could do ADFs too.

Yeah ember tetras would be fine :)

Do a planted shrimp thank! I love my two gal. It's very interesting! If you want swimmers, you could also add 2 or 3 male guppies, since the shrimp have almost no bio load!

Besides the frog I think this is a great option. Shrimp are fun to grow and watch, plus you can have far more shrimp than any other type of animal (30-50 for some species!). Just put a sponge over your filter intake to keep it from sucking in the babies. I use a Fluval prefilter sponge. It's cheap and easy to find. Shrimp also eat algae!

Besides the frog I think this is a great option. Shrimp are fun to grow and watch, plus you can have far more shrimp than any other type of animal (30-50 for some species!). Just put a sponge over your filter intake to keep it from sucking in the babies. I use a Fluval prefilter sponge. It's cheap and easy to find. Shrimp also eat algae!

I can't seem to find any shrimp in the surrounding area's pet stores, where would I find them?

I can't seem to find any shrimp in the surrounding area's pet stores, where would I find them?

You can order online. There will definitely be some on AA or aquabid. Liveaquaria is a great place for ordering shrimp, fish, plants, etc. too so I recommend them as well.

Bettafanatic said:
You can order online. There will definitely be some on AA or aquabid. Liveaquaria is a great place for ordering shrimp, fish, plants, etc. too so I recommend them as well.

Very good idea. They're almost always 1/4 the price online over even a cheap fish store. I would wait for warmer weather before ordering though.

Most chain stores don't carry red cherry shrimp so small mom and pop stores are the best places to call and check out. I just bought 6 more shrimp 3 hours ago.

Thanks, ! We found some gold shrimp at our pet store, I got an Aquatic Dwarf Frog, but Stella died. It was a sad day.:bawl:I'm not ashamed to say I cried. Our pH was fine when we put her in, but it was too high when I tested it after she died. We're looking to buy a bigger tank, like 30 gallons, and we'll put our Zebra Danios in there, and have a completely Dwarf Frog oriented tank. Thanks for all the info!

Thanks, ! We found some gold shrimp at our pet store, I got an Aquatic Dwarf Frog, but Stella died. It was a sad day.:bawl:I'm not ashamed to say I cried. Our pH was fine when we put her in, but it was too high when I tested it after she died. We're looking to buy a bigger tank, like 30 gallons, and we'll put our Zebra Danios in there, and have a completely Dwarf Frog oriented tank. Thanks for all the info!

Sorry for the loss :'(

Back
Top Bottom